Do I need a modem for Linksys routers?

Hi,
I'm currently using a Speedtouch router, for which I don't need a modem. I
just plug the DSL line into the router, plug a different cord from the
router into the computer and I'm good to go. I recently got another
computer as a gift, which came with a wireless router (it's a Dell
wirseless 2350 broadband router) that I apparently can't install because I
don't have a modem to hook it up to. Rather than waste money on a modem I'm
just thinking about selling the Dell router and buying a new router, like a
linksys, that doesn't need a modem. But a quick internet search looks like
linksys only sells wireless routers, and I assume I would need a modem for
those too.

Speedstream is a modem and router in one unit. So in reality you do have a
modem but that modem already has a router incorporated in it. I believe you
could hook the wireless router up to the Speedstream unit and use the
Speedstream modem features. Which model Speedstream is it?

Regards,
John O.

"otnajacket" <otnajacket@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm currently using a Speedtouch router, for which I don't need a modem. I
> just plug the DSL line into the router, plug a different cord from the
> router into the computer and I'm good to go. I recently got another
> computer as a gift, which came with a wireless router (it's a Dell
> wirseless 2350 broadband router) that I apparently can't install because I
> don't have a modem to hook it up to. Rather than waste money on a modem
> I'm
> just thinking about selling the Dell router and buying a new router, like
> linksys, that doesn't need a modem. But a quick internet search looks like
> linksys only sells wireless routers, and I assume I would need a modem for
> those too.

otnajacket <otnajacket@nospam.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> I'm currently using a Speedtouch router, for which I don't need a
> modem. I just plug the DSL line into the router, plug a different cord
> from the router into the computer and I'm good to go. I recently got
> another computer as a gift, which came with a wireless router (it's a
> Dell wirseless 2350 broadband router) that I apparently can't install
> because I don't have a modem to hook it up to. Rather than waste money
> on a modem I'm just thinking about selling the Dell router and buying
> a new router, like a linksys, that doesn't need a modem. But a quick
> internet search looks like linksys only sells wireless routers, and I
> assume I would need a modem for those too.

Oops, I mean Speedstream, not Speedtouch.

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Unplug your computer from the Speedstream and connect a Dell router LAN
port to the Speedstream port. Then connect your computer to a Dell
router LAN port. Do not connect anything to the Dell router WAN port.
Disable DHCP on the Dell router. You should now be able to use both
computers to share your DSL internet connection.

Good luck, jimbo

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in

> Speedstream is a modem and router in one unit. So in reality you do
> have a modem but that modem already has a router incorporated in it. I
> believe you could hook the wireless router up to the Speedstream unit
> and use the Speedstream modem features. Which model Speedstream is it?
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "otnajacket" <otnajacket@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm currently using a Speedtouch router, for which I don't need a
>> modem. I just plug the DSL line into the router, plug a different
>> cord from the router into the computer and I'm good to go. I recently
>> got another computer as a gift, which came with a wireless router
>> (it's a Dell wirseless 2350 broadband router) that I apparently can't
>> install because I don't have a modem to hook it up to. Rather than
>> waste money on a modem I'm
>> just thinking about selling the Dell router and buying a new router,
>> like a
>> linksys, that doesn't need a modem. But a quick internet search looks
>> like linksys only sells wireless routers, and I assume I would need a
>> modem for those too.

It's model number 5861. I don't have any software for it though, the
modem was a gift and didn't come with any.

"otnajacket" <otnajacket@nospam.com> wrote...
> Hi,
> I'm currently using a Speedtouch router, for which I don't need a modem. I
> just plug the DSL line into the router, plug a different cord from the
> router into the computer and I'm good to go. I recently got another
> computer as a gift, which came with a wireless router (it's a Dell
> wirseless 2350 broadband router) that I apparently can't install because I
> don't have a modem to hook it up to.

Just add the Dell router in line with the Speedstream modem/router, then plug
in/connect via wireless all your computers to the Dell router..

Turn off DHCP in the Speedstream, and use the Dell as the DHCP server.