Do i need a modem to connect a wireless router

RooksGrl_619

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,

I have a router with limited access to internet when I am on the basement level. I've tried an extender which didn't work, and the staples dude told me to just get an additional router and connect it. I'm clueless when it comes to these things, but I figured you'd need a modem to hook it up to, and I mentioned I didn't have an additional one on this level. He said it would be fine, but I guess I'm still missing it.

Any help???

He suggested an additional router not to use as a router, but to reconfigure as a second wireless AP. IOW, the routing feature is not used (WAN), but instead you patch one router to the other LAN to LAN and take advantage of the additional wireless AP.

[modem]<-- wire -->(wan)[wireless router](lan)<-- wire-->(lan)[wireless router - ap mode]

But you have to make sure the second router uses an IP address in the same network as the first router (so if the first/primary is say 192.168.1.1, perhaps the second could be 192.168.1.2, just as long as it doesn’t conflict w/ IPs being handed out by the first router’s DHCP server), and the second router has its DHCP server disabled. Finally, connect them LAN to LAN.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point