[SOLVED] Do I need a monitor upgrade?

mrhoppsmc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hello! I wanted to ask the experts here if it would make sense to upgrade from a 24" ASUS VN248H-P 60 HZ monitor to a 144hz monitor? I often come across screen tearing, fps drops and minor freezes in competitive games. I usually get around 70-95 fps on 1080P gaming so I dont know if that would bother the 144hz refresh rate or not.
PC Specs:
1. GTX 1060 6GB
2. RYZEN 5 2600
3. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ

Solution
It may help a little on screen tearing and responsiveness but your frame rates don't justify it in my opinion. Pulling 70-95 fps will likely be unnoticed from 60fps. It certainly won't help the fps drops and minor freezes as those will likely be CPU or GPU related.

Try turning whatever games you play on the lowest settings if you haven't already. This many times give a competitive advantage albeit at the cost of the game not being as pretty. Other than that you may think of a higher end GPU if you really are into gaming that much.
It may help a little on screen tearing and responsiveness but your frame rates don't justify it in my opinion. Pulling 70-95 fps will likely be unnoticed from 60fps. It certainly won't help the fps drops and minor freezes as those will likely be CPU or GPU related.

Try turning whatever games you play on the lowest settings if you haven't already. This many times give a competitive advantage albeit at the cost of the game not being as pretty. Other than that you may think of a higher end GPU if you really are into gaming that much.

Solution