Do I need a new ATX Case?

G

Hey all--

I'm just about to upgrade my system, and I'm wondering if I can save money by not buying an entirely new case. I have an Enlight 8254901 w/ a 250W powersupply, and I'm going to buy a Gigabyte GA-7ZX mobo and an AMD Thunderbird 750 or 800Mhz processor to go in it.

The thing is, I've been told the AMD chips (like the T-bird) should have a 300W power supply. I was thinking of buying an Enlight 7237 w/ 300W PS, but it's $55 and I'm trying to shave as much money off the purchase cost as possible.

Any way I could slide that GA-7ZX into my existing Enlight? Same form factor, and does the T-bird *really* need a 300W power suppyl? What's the worst thing that could happen if I run it off a 250W one?

TIA,
-netwerkboi

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
I would just keep the case and power supply for now and later on you can replace the power supply with a 300 watt.
Good Luck.

:cool:

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Check the size of your new mobo and measure up the case. You shouldn't have any trouble determining whether or not it will fit. As far as the PS goes, I think a 250W unit is marginal. It really depends on the other equipment in your box. If you have a HDD, floppy, CD/DVD, CDRW, and AGP video, you're pushing it. You could check the power requirements of all the components and do the math... I think too many people overlook the PS when they upgrade. A good PS will contribute alot to a more stable system. I just got an Antec 300W PS for less than $40 from Neutron.com for my T-Bird upgrade. Considering what I spent on RAM, mobo, processor and HDDs, the $40 was peanuts.