Question Do I need a new case for new build

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I'm planning a new build using the Ryzen 5700G, 16GB RAM (tbd) and the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk. I plan to re-use
my existing HDs and CD/DVD drive - a total of 3 SATA devices. I'm not so sure about the case (an older Antec with 3 5.25
external bays, multiple internal 3.5 bays and 2 x USB 2.0 ports on front) and its 550W PSU. My concerns are about the
PSU and the case's USB 2.0 connectors on the front.

WRT the case, its USB ports are 2.0. I want to upgrade them to at least 3.0 Type-A, but I'm not aware of any easy way to
do so. I did run across "front panels" that might work out; in short, the spot where the pc will sit makes it difficult to readily
use the rear ports. I saw the following items at NewEgg:

Rosewill 5.25 Inch Front Panel Card Reader USB 3.0 USB Hub

5.25 Inch Front Panel 4 Ports USB Hub w/ HD Audio Output Port & Microphone Input,2 Port USB 3.0 & 2 Ports USB 2.0
Hub w/ Stereo Audio Mic 5.25" CD-ROM Bay Bracket

7 Port USB 3.0 5.25" Internal CD-ROM Bay Front Panel USB Hub,7 x USB 3.0 Type A Female to Motherboard USB 20 pin
Hub Splitter Adapter w/ 5.25 inch Metal Bracket

Each of them if I understood it correctly draw power from the PSU for the devices attached to it. I've had problems with my
existing pc where the external 3.0 HD would fail to function well.

My concern about the front panel is whether they can connect and work with the motherboard and if they would affect the
overall power requirements.. When I considered adding a front panel on my existing config, I discovered that what I
wanted to do would not work because my motherboard (ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3) did not have a second header
(warning - I'm not sure I'm using the right words here). Would the Tomahawk mobo would have the same problem?

Will the 550 Watt PSU be sufficient for my eqpt
- the Ryzen 5700G equpped with its stock cooler, MSI MAG B550
Tomahawk, 16GB RAM, 1 DVD, 2 HDs and four/five case fans. I don't plan to overclock but will get speedy RAM. Gaming
pretty much is basic - no FPS or arcade games. No video editing ditto, but will use to YouTube videos. I might add one of the front panel items but still undecided.

Thanks.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Maybe could reuse old case. Many benefits to new case and they haven't gone up in prices over the years it seem like.
Could you add a bit more about the benefits of a new case? Is it air flow design, engineering, materials used, newer features? I kind of look at the case as simply that, something to hold the mobo and fans and etc. inside. Flashy things like RGB effects don't have much appeal whereas things that help keep the eqpt from overheating or offer speedier connections like USB 3 are important to me. If I can, I'd like to re-use my case to keep costs down. I plan to stay with using fans rather than some type of liquid cooling because I don't overclock and I figure my cpu demands will for the most part be on the low end.

BTW, what about the power supply? That was one thing that I thought if it needed increasing the wattage might affect whether I needed a new case.