[SOLVED] Do I need a new coax cable when I switch ISPs?

CamdenK7

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016
I'm planning on switching my ISP, I currently have a coax cable that comes out of my floor into my gateway. Will I need a new coax cable installed by my new ISP or will they have access to the old one? Also, (if the old coax cable works) is there any benefit to using a newly installed coax cable instead of an old one?

Solution
This all depends if both companies actually use coax to deliver internet. In many places you are even lucky to get 2 ISP. Many times 1 uses coax and the other uses phone lines. Some times you have fiber options. The coax inside your house is yours. The one running between the street and your house is the ISP. Unless you live somewhere the government forces them to share this cable most ISP will not allow other ISP to use it.
This all depends if both companies actually use coax to deliver internet. In many places you are even lucky to get 2 ISP. Many times 1 uses coax and the other uses phone lines. Some times you have fiber options. The coax inside your house is yours. The one running between the street and your house is the ISP. Unless you live somewhere the government forces them to share this cable most ISP will not allow other ISP to use it.

Solution
If new ISP indeed use coax to deliver service, can use existing just fine. This would be a good time to think whether the modem location is proper. Gamers always come back and complain "modem/router too far from me, getting weak signal" so if you have a coax outlet in your room, request the installer to provide you the signal at that location. Of course if your place is already wired for ethernet, modem should be at the junction of those wires, where the ethernet switch is.