Do I need a new computer.

Oct 13, 2018
Our company recently got a new computer. After about 5 weeks with it, we try to turn it on but it is completely dead. So I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqg5wQpkK14. I tried it and it worked. One of our employees says that it is only a temporary fix and that the computer is bad.

My question is:

Is the computer bad, do I need to replace it and why? Also what caused the problem in the first place.

If you can't watch the video this is basically what happened:
Disconnect the battery then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the pc in and then unplug and put the battery back in. (So just taking all the power out of the pc as you can).

If you need some of the specs. 32 GB ram, 256 GB SSD - OS, 500 GB HHD, Intel 4 core processor (I don't know the name), Amd fire "something" Graphics card and it is an HP ZBook

I do not want to return the computer if I don't need to.

Solution

If you have no warranty but you have an option to return it still. I would return it. Better to return it and buy something else. Than to keep it and risk being stuck with a dead computer after the return window closes.

It's already shown itself as unreliable. Perhaps it is a fluke. More likely it is a sign of problems which will continue and worsen.

Jwpanz

Honorable
There may be a couple of things going on here. The first thing that comes to mind is a faulty battery and, if true, it would fall under the warranty and HP should replace it for free.

Second, it could be a faulty AC adapter. While the adapter will power the laptop without a battery it may not be properly charging the battery. When a laptop has a battery in it it will always attempt to boot from it even if the AC power adapter is plugged in. If the battery is not being charged (dead) then the laptop will just sit there and not power on. But if you remove the dead/faulty battery and power on from the AC adapter then it suddenly wants to work.

The first thing to do is try to charge the battery with another AC adapter should you have one lying around. Let it charge for a little bit and try again. If it still fails to boot then the battery is likely faulty and HP should replace it.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Did the seller send over the warranty information with the laptop? If it’s within the warranty period just check to make sure that it is transferable. If not then you’re on your own to get it fixed. Try my suggestions in my other answer first, though.

Oct 13, 2018

I think it is within a warranty but I don't think he is going to pay for shipping. Also, It was a good deal. To make this clear I fixed it and it works but I was wondering if It is only a temporary fix.

If you have no warranty but you have an option to return it still. I would return it. Better to return it and buy something else. Than to keep it and risk being stuck with a dead computer after the return window closes.

It's already shown itself as unreliable. Perhaps it is a fluke. More likely it is a sign of problems which will continue and worsen.

Solution