[SOLVED] Do i need a new mobo?

Dec 7, 2021
I was putting together my old pc for my sister, applied new thermal paste, it was jumping between 60°-80°C (140°-176°F if ppl use that for pc temps) at idle, so i removed the cooler, but the cpu came with it, i saw a lot of pins were bent, it doesn't even seat in the socket, so im getting a new cpu, but then i saw that a little bit of thermal paste somehow got under the cpu, in the socket.
do i need a new mobo too or is it fine?
Pics: View: https://imgur.com/a/XxRZyiq

Solution
it depends on the type of thermal paste, how far it may have leaked into the socket, and a few other things.
conductive thermal pastes can be dangerous if contacting components.

you can attempt to clean it out but would have to be very wary about pressing it further into the socket.
you could try a pin, needle, or something slim with some alcohol and just sort of scoop/slide it out.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you recall what thermalpaste you'd used on that processor? They should be non conductive but I'd try and get a fine needle and try and clean up as much as possible with some isopropyl alcohol. Make and model of your current afflicted motherboard? Also, now would be a good time to understand that you might've put a little too much thermalpaste atop the CPU's IHS.

Cooler used for the build?

it depends on the type of thermal paste, how far it may have leaked into the socket, and a few other things.
conductive thermal pastes can be dangerous if contacting components.

you can attempt to clean it out but would have to be very wary about pressing it further into the socket.
you could try a pin, needle, or something slim with some alcohol and just sort of scoop/slide it out.

Solution
yeah, that's what happened most likely, cooler is just stock amd wraith cooler
Most likely it's non-conductive thermal paste. It definitely doesn't look like the 'liquid metal' stuff, which isn't even a paste.

I'd just carefully clean around it with an alcohol moistened cotton swab and try not to push it down into the socket.

If you're really OCD about it you can also get some electronics contact cleaner. The board will have to be out of the case. Spray it thoroughly, use an entire can and maybe even a second to wash it completely off the board.

Or just leave it alone, it's not likely to be the conductive type and is safe.