[SOLVED] Do I need a new motherboard or is the cpu the only thing I need to replace?

Feb 12, 2021
Went to install my cpu cooler and was somewhat of a pain, got it fastened on(not crazy tight) and got everything put together and had it working for a few days and but noticed it would get a little hotter than I wanted it to, so I bought an aftermarket cooler and went to install it and I actually had little to no issues getting that one on but after getting everything out back together( and double checked everything thing was properly plugged up) it wouldn’t even turn on, no fans nothing. I took the cooler off and took out the cpu and discovered a few bent pins along with one missing( I understand the cpu is trash) I need to know if I need a new Mobo due to the improper seating of the cpu it looks like their could be damage on the am4 socket but I also do know Forsure due to this being my first build :/

Solution
The other parts are likely fine. And the motherboard may be - you'll have to clean it up and look a bit.

And as others have said, warranties are not for this. Care is required; if the cooler wasn't coming off instantly, you either need to try a light twisting motion or "break the seal" with dental floss or fishing line.
Feb 12, 2021
pmxN4HyYj

Lower left corner of the socket in the picture...a lot of damage to the plastic and one hole completely obscured. I'd not want to try putting a brand new CPU in that socket without some careful cleaning of the damage and examining the contacts with magnification. Even if it doesn't damage the CPU pin, pushing a pin down into the socket may just push the junk into the contact and wedge apart the delicate leaves of the contact making it unreliable at best. As would careless cleaning of it, BTW.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
Okay I will just try and get a replacement board. Should I worry about any of my other components being trashed with trying to turn it on and the cpu being damaged? (Once I get new cpu and mobo)

Feb 12, 2021
's OK...it's largely irrelevant anyway since the motherboard is definitely in jeapordy at this point. You have to clean that socket very carefully to see if any socket contacts are damaged and make sure nothing gets crammed down into one.
That’s what I needed to know. If I should try and a get replacement or if it was just something cosmetic that wouldn’t affect performance

Feb 12, 2021
Maybe that's not a fat-finger mistake, but it's still yours. It's quite common too...many cases of it across the forums if you follow them much. There are techniques for removing coolers for upgrades to avoid the problems.
Sorry to get annoyed, just frustrated about this because I was super careful, is there at least a pretty good chance all my other parts are still good? And it’s just as simple as a new cpu and motherboard?

Sorry to get annoyed, just frustrated about this because I was super careful, is there at least a pretty good chance all my other parts are still good? And it’s just as simple as a new cpu and motherboard?
Highly likely that's all you'd need.

BTW...you might try to make your case with MSI tech support to get an RMA for them to clean and test the socket. They might help you out if you can point out the difficulty of removing the CPU, and frequency of the problem it causes. I'd personally like manufacturers to add notes and cautions and mention a safe technique in the manuals. It really doesn't need to be this way.

Do not hold your breath, though, and plan on the new purchase. I'm very doubtful they'll oblige.

Reactions: Tfinch97

DSzymborski

Titan
The other parts are likely fine. And the motherboard may be - you'll have to clean it up and look a bit.

And as others have said, warranties are not for this. Care is required; if the cooler wasn't coming off instantly, you either need to try a light twisting motion or "break the seal" with dental floss or fishing line.

Reactions: Tfinch97
Solution

TRENDING THREADS