[SOLVED] Do I need a new motherboard to get a NVMe SSD?

AceArcade

Commendable
Nov 23, 2019
Hello. I've been going around online, doing my research, asking around, and I just now signed up for Tom's Hardware, because I really need an answer for this before Black Week ends where I live.

Do I need a new motherboard to get a NVMe SSD?

My motherboard is an ASUSTEK P8H61-M LX3 R2.0. As far as I know (although I can't confirm this information), it doesn't support NVMe SSD's. I don't want a SATA. Somebody told me online that I could get an SSD Adapter for my motherboard so I wouldn't need to get a new one, but then again somebody else said the Adapter won't provide as much speed.

So I figured I could probably trust Tom's Hardware better than Reddit.

Do I REALLY need a new motherboard to get a NVMe SSD? Or can I get an adapter?
If I need a new motherboard, which one should I get, and would it require even more upgrades to install it, e.g., a new CPU?

Thanks,
João.

Solution
Yes, you'd need a new motherboard (and CPU and RAM).
But depending on what you use this for, an NVMe drive may have little gain over a traditional 2.5" SATA III SSD, which WILL work on your current board.

Bottom line - Don't change the whole PC just so you can use an NVMe SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you'd need a new motherboard (and CPU and RAM).
But depending on what you use this for, an NVMe drive may have little gain over a traditional 2.5" SATA III SSD, which WILL work on your current board.

Bottom line - Don't change the whole PC just so you can use an NVMe SSD.

Reactions: AceArcade
Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
a nvme to sata adapter would convert the nvme into a sata in terms of connection speed, so no point on buying it on the first place, just buy a ssd and you will be very happy with it

if the motherboard is old and doesn't have a m.2 slot, you can't se nvme directly so you need a adapter

you would need a pci expres to m.2 nvme adapter, but if the motherboard is old, the adapter might not be usable to be a boot device, so you wouldn't be able to install windows and boot from it, one of the best things one can do with a nvme is just that, use it as boot device, so windows boots in seconds and you get the best experience

i recently moved my boot device from a ssd to a nvme

the nvme is faster, but is not dramatically fast to boot windows or load games, so if you can't ue directly the nvme, i would buy the ssd and be very happy with it

AceArcade

Commendable
Nov 23, 2019
It's for my job, I edit 4K videos and there's a lot of huge file transfers, and I enjoy playing video games too. I think I could afford a new motherboard so I could get a NVMe, but it doesn't seem to be recommended at all, anywhere, and sometimes less is more. So I'mma just trust you guys that there's not much of a difference and I'd already be happy with SATA III.

Thanks