Do I need a new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkngpn

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My friend gave me his laptop because he dropped it when he was charging it. And it knocked the the part where you plug in the charger in the laptop. Is it replaceable or do I need a new mother board?

Solution
It may be reparable, maybe not - it depends on the extent of the damage. If the socket is all that's been knocked off, you can replace it for next to nothing - but if the board itself is cracked, you may be out of luck. You may - even if the board is cracked, sometimes - be able to hoodwink a jack in by rewiring the board outside the case to a jack by interfacing with the solder points directly.
It may be reparable, maybe not - it depends on the extent of the damage. If the socket is all that's been knocked off, you can replace it for next to nothing - but if the board itself is cracked, you may be out of luck. You may - even if the board is cracked, sometimes - be able to hoodwink a jack in by rewiring the board outside the case to a jack by interfacing with the solder points directly.

Solution

mrkngpn

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I took it apart and the motherboard didn't seem to be cracked. Just the socket has been broken off. The only thing left is a couple pieces of metal attached to the motherboard where the socket use to be .

How would I go about fixing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS