[SOLVED] Do I need a new power supply?

Nov 5, 2020
So last week, I got the RTX 3070 and installed it into my system. I own an AmazonBasics Docking station and have my keyboard, mouse receiver, speakers, monitor, mic, and occasionally an external hard drive plugged into it. It's been working before with no issues but now that I installed my 3070 into the system, it acts all buggy. Sometimes it won't register clicks from my keyboard or the mouse will lag out. My initial assumption was that the 3070 was a little too power-hungry for my system because the minimum requirement for the 3070 is 650W and my power supply is 650W exactly. But if anyone has any other diagnostics or suggestions please let me know.

Solution
I built the system myself and I have a surface laptop so when I plug in the doc and all the peripherals there, they work with no problem.

I thought the issue was with the computer using the dock? You want to test that without the docking station not the docking station on another system. If the system has issues running things, remove as many variables as you can. Since you are using this dock, get rid of it when trouble-shooting. If the issue is the same then you may want to look into getting a better quality power supply than the generic brand.
So last week, I got the RTX 3070 and installed it into my system. I own an AmazonBasics Docking station and have my keyboard, mouse receiver, speakers, monitor, mic, and occasionally an external hard drive plugged into it. It's been working before with no issues but now that I installed my 3070 into the system, it acts all buggy. Sometimes it won't register clicks from my keyboard or the mouse will lag out. My initial assumption was that the 3070 was a little too power-hungry for my system because the minimum requirement for the 3070 is 650W and my power supply is 650W exactly. But if anyone has any other diagnostics or suggestions please let me know.

What is the brand and model of your power supply? Your monitor should be connected to the video card not to the docking station.

Reactions: Benjamin22044
Nov 5, 2020
I think that's a MicroCenter brand, was this a system you put together or did you upgrade some pre-built? How does it run if you connect things to the computer directly without the dock?
I built the system myself and I have a surface laptop so when I plug in the doc and all the peripherals there, they work with no problem.

I thought the issue was with the computer using the dock? You want to test that without the docking station not the docking station on another system. If the system has issues running things, remove as many variables as you can. Since you are using this dock, get rid of it when trouble-shooting. If the issue is the same then you may want to look into getting a better quality power supply than the generic brand.

Solution