[SOLVED] Do I need a new PS or can I use my existing PS?

Mar 18, 2020
I just build a new PC using some old parts. The new parts are i5-9600K cpu, ASUS Z390-P MB, and G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 RAM. My existing PS is an Antec Earth Wats 380 that only has a 4 pin cpu plug. The BIOS complains that it wants all 8 pins. I can get a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter but will the PS be able to provide enough power to the CPU if I use the adapter or should I spend the money and get a new PS with 8 pin plug?

Solution
If its a Antec EarthWatts Green, which going by the wattage it most likely it, then replace it ASAP, its a garbage unit. Not to mention at 380 watts, even if it was good you can't power an real GPU

If you are on a tight budget get a Corsair CX/CXm 550 or 650 watt. I wouldn't pair a CX/CXm with anything that requires more watts then the RTX2060 Super, so any GPU with ~175 watts max.

Beyond that get a good Gold rated PSU like the Corsair TXm/RXm, Seaosnig FOCUS G series, etc. It's silly to put expensive parts in a system and put them behind a cheap PSU.
If its a Antec EarthWatts Green, which going by the wattage it most likely it, then replace it ASAP, its a garbage unit. Not to mention at 380 watts, even if it was good you can't power an real GPU

If you are on a tight budget get a Corsair CX/CXm 550 or 650 watt. I wouldn't pair a CX/CXm with anything that requires more watts then the RTX2060 Super, so any GPU with ~175 watts max.

Beyond that get a good Gold rated PSU like the Corsair TXm/RXm, Seaosnig FOCUS G series, etc. It's silly to put expensive parts in a system and put them behind a cheap PSU.

Solution
You shouldn't need any more than a single 4 pin for that CPU if you are not overclocking.

Using an adapter has the potential cause more problems than it solves. It will get rid of the error, but your PSU will still only be able to provide the same amount of power to the CPU.

Your PSU is not good, although for hardware that may draw 200w tops, its fine. If you ever throw a dedicated GPU in the system it will need upgraded.

Mar 18, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. I thought Antec made good PSU since it has worked well for several years. I am looking to purchase a new Cosair PSU as richiestang_78 recommended. I am not using a dedicated GPU and do not do gaming rather I use this as a server to host several virtual machines and am overclocking for the first time so that I can use faster RAM than previously used to see if it makes any difference.

Mar 18, 2020
Since I am getting a new PSU should I also get a different CPU cooler. I am currently planning on using a stock Intel cooler/fan which has also worked well for all the builds that I have made previously. As stated above I do not do gaming but I am overclocking enough to use the DDR4 3400 RAM. Will the stock still be sufficient?

Since I am getting a new PSU should I also get a different CPU cooler. I am currently planning on using a stock Intel cooler/fan which has also worked well for all the builds that I have made previously. As stated above I do not do gaming but I am overclocking enough to use the DDR4 3400 RAM. Will the stock still be sufficient?

You cannot use a stock Intel cooler with a 9600K, it will thermal throttle. If you need a cheap budget cooler the Hyper 212 or Gammax 400 are both good options.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-400/p/N82E16835856005

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-20pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

TRENDING THREADS