Question Do i need a new PSU for my GTX 1660

Nov 29, 2019
PSU: CiT-CB500 (500W)
GTX 1660 is 450W recommended.

Don't really wanna spend money thats the thing, will I be safe?

Also how do I prevent bottlenecks?

Lutfij

Titan
I would change that PSU out ASAP. What are the specs to your build? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Even if the GPU along with the entire system drew 430W of power from the PSU, I wouldn't trust that on the unit you have unless you want to purposely kill the components in your system as an excuse to buy better hardware.

The PSU is considered to be the heart of your system, if it has a heart attack, the entire system will croak.

Now, where are you located and how much do you have to spend on the PSU? A preferred site for purchase would be helpful.

Reactions: jonnyguru

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
It really depends on what your overall consumption is for all components. 50w is plenty of headroom if your entire system is 450w. But by plenty I mean you don't want to go above 450w total on a 500w supply. My personal opinion is total consumption shouldn't exceed 90% total output potential.

Bottlenecks can be remedied by either upgrading the component causing the bottleneck or overclocking said components. The 1st option is the easier, more effective and safer of the 2. The 2nd option is cheaper, but riskier. Also you might not be able to overclock certain things at all or enough to notice anything useful.

Nov 29, 2019
It really depends on what your overall consumption is for all components. 50w is plenty of headroom if your entire system is 450w. But by plenty I mean you don't want to go above 450w total on a 500w supply. My personal opinion is total consumption shouldn't exceed 90% total output potential.

Bottlenecks can be remedied by either upgrading the component causing the bottleneck or overclocking said components. The 1st option is the easier, more effective and safer of the 2. The 2nd option is cheaper, but riskier. Also you might not be able to overclock certain things at all or enough to notice anything useful.
How do I check how many watts im currently using?

Nov 29, 2019
I would change that PSU out ASAP. What are the specs to your build? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Even if the GPU along with the entire system drew 430W of power from the PSU, I wouldn't trust that on the unit you have unless you want to purposely kill the components in your system as an excuse to buy better hardware.

The PSU is considered to be the heart of your system, if it has a heart attack, the entire system will croak.

Now, where are you located and how much do you have to spend on the PSU? A preferred site for purchase would be helpful.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) ~3.4GHz
Motherboard: Intel DQ77MK
Ram: x2 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
SSD/HDD: 1TB but Idk what its called lol some Hitachi Loud Ass
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: CiT ATX-500W

bignastyid

Titan
It's an extra 50 watts from what I have?
It's not just about power. When comparing PSUs build quality is a very big part and CiT's quality is garbage. The EVGA G3 is a much much higher quality.

Even in terms of power deliver the G3 is much better. The 500w CiT(which is just a relabled generic unit) can't even deliver 300w where it counts(the 12v rail), while the 550w G3 can actually deliver 550w on the 12v rail.

It's an extra 50 watts from what I have?

It's not. Your PSU isn't really a 500W. It just says that on the label.

Unfortunately, there's no governing body that will allow us to win a class action lawsuit against people like CiT for selling PSUs that are fire hazards. They can put whatever number they want on the PSU and hide the actual number in a PDF document you have no access to (read Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when they talk about the permit for knocking down Authur Dent's house. It's all true)

If the PSU dies, they're only bound by warranty laws of the country.

If the PSU catches your house on fire, you can take them to court, but their lawyers are more expensive then your lawyers and you'll end up living in the streets.

It sucks. I know.

Nov 29, 2019
It's not. Your PSU isn't really a 500W. It just says that on the label.

Unfortunately, there's no governing body that will allow us to win a class action lawsuit against people like CiT for selling PSUs that are fire hazards. They can put whatever number they want on the PSU and hide the actual number in a PDF document you have no access to (read Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when they talk about the permit for knocking down Authur Dent's house. It's all true)

If the PSU dies, they're only bound by warranty laws of the country.

If the PSU catches your house on fire, you can take them to court, but their lawyers are more expensive then your lawyers and you'll end up living in the streets.

It sucks. I know.
But am I fine without a new psu since I dont wanna spend money