Question Do I need a new PSU ? Random restarts

Apr 3, 2020
Hello guys, I bought a second hand PC with this specs:

CPU - i7 6700k
Motherboard - MSI z170a Pro gaming carbon
RAM - 2x8(16Gb) Patriot Viper 2800mhz DDR4
GPU - Nvidia GTX750ti
PSU - Enhance ATX1200 700w Bronze Series

I've been playing cs go, apex and it ran fine low fps of course, but then I decided to buy a 1060 6gb to play some more demanding games for example, Pubg i instaled the graphics card and then i dont remember if it was immediately or a few days later but the pc started randomly restarting all of the sudden, and it would happen really random for example playing cs matchmaking or just opening pubg.
The really strange part is that some days for like 2 days it would play fine no restarts, it only happen like 2 or 3 times while watching youtube videos and it is really annoying, so what i've done is change back to the 750ti and it still randomly restarts.
Another thing that happens is my motherboard has debug led's and somethimes when it restarts it dosent boot, all fans spining but dosent boot, and CPU Led is stuck on, I have to restart several times and then it shut's down the cpu led and boot's normaly. I checked the voltages with a digital multimeter in the gpu 6 pin connector and cpu 8 pin connector and it gives me 11.85v in gpu and 11.88 cpu sometimes 11.45v, it happens the other way around too, once i had gpu ran lower than 11.40.
I dont have another psu to try out i was thinking to buy a new good one " Corsair RM750x 80 plus gold" because alot of research i did says it's the psu hence the question should i upgrade it ?
The CPU and GPU are stock no overclock, XMP OFF (memory runs at 2133mhz), and bios was never updated since im afraid to brick it due to the random restarts and the temps are good cpu not more than 70 under load and gpu 70's max. Sorry if my english is not good.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Since the +12V line goes that low should you really replace the psu. The Corsair you mention is a good choice, but you don't really need 750watts, you could do with 550watt with such a system. And if you have a lower budget would the TXM series also do fine.And there are more options for less money.

If you really fancy abit more watts could you get a 650watt, but anything higher is already in sli/crossfire territory.

Reactions: King_V
Apr 3, 2020
Since the +12V line goes that low should you really replace the psu. The Corsair you mention is a good choice, but you don't really need 750watts, you could do with 550watt with such a system. And if you have a lower budget would the TXM series also do fine.And there are more options for less money.

If you really fancy abit more watts could you get a 650watt, but anything higher is already in sli/crossfire territory.
I know i dont need the 750w but its in my budget and its more than enough so if it happens again i Will know for sure its not power related. the strange thing is that yesterday i play for like 4 h and after that ran prime 95 for 2h and it didnt restart once.

Apr 3, 2020
Migth be that at times it works fine, but 11.40V is at the lowest that ATX allows before being out of spec so really do replace the psu.
I changed the power supply I ended up with a "SeaSonic Focus GX750w Plus Gold" instead of the corsair one i've mentioned, and voilá it's all good now, no more low voltages, no more cpu led when turning pc on, so i guess i really needed a new psu after all, thank you for ur help! : )

Reactions: Pickachu and King_V