[SOLVED] Do i need a new PSU?

Nitro123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
So im thinking of upgrading my processor since its bottlenecking my gpu. Does upgrading cpu increase the required psu wattage by alot? Btw im thinking of upgrading from an i3-3220 to a i5-3470. Will it have a big difference? And do you think that cpu is good for the rx 470 4gb?
Rest of the specs are
1x250GB HDD
1x256GB SSD
4 coolmoon rgb casing fans
Unknown chinese branded psu which is said to be 600w although i dont believe it.
Il attach a picture of the psu to check abt the voltages on each rail View: https://imgur.com/a/tmkvSeq

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, the I5 3470 will be better match to the GPU.

In terms of the PSU, I wouldn't put that PSU in any build. It's undoubtedly a poor PSU, likely made with lesser quality parts. There are no reviews of it for a reason.

I'd ditch it and getting something a little better. Maybe a Corsair CXM650 Bronze.
Hey there,

In terms of the PSU, I wouldn't put that PSU in any build. It's undoubtedly a poor PSU, likely made with lesser quality parts. There are no reviews of it for a reason.

I'd ditch it and getting something a little better. Maybe a Corsair CXM650 Bronze.

Solution

Nitro123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hey there,

So whats the actual wattage this psu can supply although it claims to be 600w

As the others have said, without a proper label with details, its hard to tell. Often those types of PSU's provide massively lower power and combine the 12v rail with a 5v rail to make up the 600w, even then the total watts is often much less than advertised.

sizzling is bang on the money. Low quality PSU's (which that is) can fry a mobo, and potentially take out some hardware.

Just not worth using it IMO.

Nitro123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
As the others have said, without a proper label with details, its hard to tell. Often those types of PSU's provide massively lower power and combine the 12v rail with a 5v rail to make up the 600w, even then the total watts is often much less than advertised.

sizzling is bang on the money. Low quality PSU's (which that is) can fry a mobo, and potentially take out some hardware.

Just not worth using it IMO.
Yea i get that. But im on a really tight budget. 17 years without a job and no other way of getting cash so if i upgrade the psu il have to remain with the i3 processor which then i wont be able to truely use the rx 470.

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. I guess it's difficult for a lot of folks right now.

What you said may be true, but at the same time, that PSU you currently have could pop at any time. I'm genuinely not trying to be alarmist, but that's how it is. If it does go, you may have damage to other components, which could render any new hardware unusable.

The PSU I quoted above, the CX650M is a decent PSU. In fact if you were to get the CX550M it would be a much better PSU than your current one, and still provide more power than you need. The PSU is the 'heart' of your system. Would you want your heart to be shoddy and ready to have a heart attack at any given moment? Prob not. I know it's a bit of a weird analogy, but it's true.

Either way, you have some advice and solutions, and I wish you luck getting your system the way you'd like.

Nitro123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. I guess it's difficult for a lot of folks right now.

What you said may be true, but at the same time, that PSU you currently have could pop at any time. I'm genuinely not trying to be alarmist, but that's how it is. If it does go, you may have damage to other components, which could render any new hardware unusable.

The PSU I quoted above, the CX650M is a decent PSU. In fact if you were to get the CX550M it would be a much better PSU than your current one, and still provide more power than you need. The PSU is the 'heart' of your system. Would you want your heart to be shoddy and ready to have a heart attack at any given moment? Prob not. I know it's a bit of a weird analogy, but it's true.

Either way, you have some advice and solutions, and I wish you luck getting your system the way you'd like.
I guess il start with the psu then..
And btw thanks for all your advices guys.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead