[SOLVED] Do I need a new router?

Apr 25, 2020
I have a Netgear WNDR3400v2 router. My internet service has been at 20 mbps, which is roughly what the router has been providing over ethernet and wifi. Recently I upgraded to 100 mbps and the router is still only proving 20-40 mbps over wifi. Over ethernet it has been providing about 50-60 mbps. When I plugged the PC directly into the router, it gets 105 mbps, so I know the problem is not the actual internet connection. I only expect about 70-80 Mbps over wifi, but I think the the ethernet should be a lot closer to the 100.

Is this router slowing down both my wifi and ethernet, and would getting a new one help speed it up?

Solution
Are you saying that with my current router I should be getting 70mbps on internet when in the same room? I am only getting about 30-50 when I am only a few feet away from it.
70Mbit would be the theoretical limit for 2.4Ghz. You might do better with 5Ghz, depending on the client. Remember that WIFI speeds are determined by the router AND the client.
To maximize performance in the router I recommend a factory reset, to ensure you haven't selected any options that will slow it down. Set just the SSIDs, WIFI password, admin password. Make sure you are using WPA2 AES encryption for your WIFI. That will be as good as it gets with that hardware.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Netgear WNDR3400v2 router. My internet service has been at 20 mbps, which is roughly what the router has been providing over ethernet and wifi. Recently I upgraded to 100 mbps and the router is still only proving 20-40 mbps over wifi. Over ethernet it has been providing about 50-60 mbps. When I plugged the PC directly into the router, it gets 105 mbps, so I know the problem is not the actual internet connection. I only expect about 70-80 Mbps over wifi, but I think the the ethernet should be a lot closer to the 100.

Is this router slowing down both my wifi and ethernet, and would getting a new one help speed it up?
To support 100Mbit WAN service you do need a new router. That router has 100Mbit wired ports. That will support 90Mbit max with wired connectivity. You should be able to get 70Mbit with WIFI. You may only be able to get that while in the same room.
That is an old, slow router. I would recommend an upgrade. Look for routers with the AC1900 designation -- Like the Asus AC68U or similar.

Apr 25, 2020
To support 100Mbit WAN service you do need a new router. That router has 100Mbit wired ports. That will support 90Mbit max with wired connectivity. You should be able to get 70Mbit with WIFI. You may only be able to get that while in the same room.
That is an old, slow router. I would recommend an upgrade. Look for routers with the AC1900 designation -- Like the Asus AC68U or similar.

Are you saying that with my current router I should be getting 70mbps on internet when in the same room? I am only getting about 30-50 when I am only a few feet away from it.

kanewolf

Titan
70Mbit would be the theoretical limit for 2.4Ghz. You might do better with 5Ghz, depending on the client. Remember that WIFI speeds are determined by the router AND the client.
To maximize performance in the router I recommend a factory reset, to ensure you haven't selected any options that will slow it down. Set just the SSIDs, WIFI password, admin password. Make sure you are using WPA2 AES encryption for your WIFI. That will be as good as it gets with that hardware.

Solution
Apr 25, 2020

Got it. I will buy a new router.