Question do i need a new ssd

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
i ran crystaldiskmark and as ssd benchmarks on my sandisk 1b ssd plus, on the first test in crystaldiskmark read was 540 write was 390 , so i tested the drive in as ssd read was 545 write was only 256 , so i did a third test ( i read its bad to do alot of tests but i think my ssd is part of game stuttering issues) third reading in crystaldiskmark is 541.84 real life scenario (second line) 124 write (Second line was very low ) top line is 541/380 and the final test after waiting 15 min was (top line) 512/488, second line 498/444

it wouldnt be a big deal on replacing it but right now ssds are very costly for some reason at $200 for a 2tb 870 evo

was the drive over heating which gave me the low write after doing a back to back tests?
do i need a new drive, my nvme still tests at manufacture specs?
if so would i go with the 870 evo? or what would u all recommend ty

EDITED with full specs

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ko 3060ti oc lhr edition (lhr removed with updates)
MSI b550m pro vdh wifi
Trident neo 3200 cl16
Coolermaster masterbox case
Windows 10 (non pro)
Seasonic 850w focus gold psu
Nvme os drive is crucial 500 gen 3
Game drive SanDisk plus 1tb 2.5" SSD
Internet is 500 down 25 up (wired connection)
Router is Asus ax3000

I play world of Warcraft, overwatch2, apex, elden ring (not so much anymore)

mw2/warzone (can't count these Game as everyone's stuttering even with $5k 4090/13900k rigs cause if coding and server issues)

Reason I asked about the drive is (A.) Games seem like they take forever to load, (B.) on one test the read was good but the write was 124 but that was after doing back to back tests so I don't know if the drive was overheated.

in games I get hitching & stutters even low demand games, I play overwatch pretty well no big issues there, apex I get some microstutters

I know the cpu isn't the greatest I planned on upgrading to a 5800x3d/x570 motherboard but I was told it would be a waste of money as my gpu is my bottleneck not the cpu and I wouldn't see any improvements unless I went to a 3080ti or 3090.

View: https://imgur.com/a/BYnOvQd

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The SSD is indicated as being 75% full. For the most part drives should be limited to 70-80% full so the drive is topping out based on that criteria.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What games are you playing? Connectivity: wired or wireless?

There may be other reasons for the stuttering.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
The SSD is indicated as being 75% full. For the most part drives should be limited to 70-80% full so the drive is topping out based on that criteria.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What games are you playing? Connectivity: wired or wireless?

There may be other reasons for the stuttering.

I didn't know what you meant so I edited the first post with all the specs

Ralston18

Titan
Knowing more about the system and overall configuration helps with identifying specific problems and/or subsequent troubleshooting.,

Benchmarks have their purposes and can prove helpful.

I suggest taking a look at system performance in other ways.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance. Observe when not gaming and then while gaming.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

The objective being to discover what the system is doing (or trying to do) when stuttering or otherwise being "slow". What resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what is using any given resource.

It will take some time and effort to get a sense of each tool and how to apply it and understand what information is being presented. There is no need to rush.

Specifically: watch while the system idles. Then continue to watch while a game is downloading. What changes? Does some other background app launch - perhaps triggered by the download of the game. Could be in Task Scheduler.

Watch Processes:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Writes are inherently slower than reads. There may be some specific reason why the writes are even slower than can be reasonably expected. Not sure sure how to quantify reasonably....