Do I need a Nvidia Quadro card for HDR?

Kris MGS

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
I have the LG 27UK650 monitor. I toggle the HDR/WCG option in windows to play HDR content in YouTube and Netflix. However, I've been told that I'm not getting 10-bit ( 8-bit + FRC) to my monitor because I need a Nvidia Quadro card. Is that true?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No?

Just depends on the capabilities of the panel, cable (connection type), and the GPU. Quadro, Geforce, Radeon, Firepro doesn't really matter. Those are just broad marketing names. And the differences between different generations are vast as much as the cost difference.

As an example you can have a Quadro with the exact same GPU as a Geforce card, the difference is usually only the memory type and the drivers.

Simply look up your GPU's capabilities, If you don't have them, then you can start shopping for a suitable GPU.

Kris MGS

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Yea, I mean my monitor is spec'd as 8bit + FRC. It essentially simulates more colors so I know it's not true 10 bit. My i7 7700k has a igpu that can do HDR for video. Anyway, this guy I'm going back and fourth with is pretty certain that I need a Quadro card or 4K player to properly display 8-bit FRC. Doesn't seem right to me.

You need a Quadro card to display 10 bpc color in OpenGL applications like Photoshop, etc. However, modern GeForce cards do support 10 bpc color in DirectX applications now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8d10k0/10bit_graphics_card_support/

This is only really useful in games. YouTube, Netflix, and other video streaming services, and even blu-ray discs, do not distribute content higher than 8 bpc, to my knowledge.