[SOLVED] Do I need a separate hyper m2x16 series card for my new Asus Z390 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, I have Windows 10 and a self-build PC. I'm in the process of upgrading it and have bought an Asus Z390-A motherboard, partly because I thought it would be suitable for me to make full use of my Crucial 1000 GB PCLe NVME SSD.
I wish to turn it into my C drive with Windows cloned to it.
In the Asus motherboard user guide I have just read, under "expansion slots", that
" PCLex16. 1 slot supports up to 3 intel PCLe NVME SSDs via a Hyper M.2x16 series card"
It goes on to say that the cards are sold separately. On ebay they cost about £45.
I have two concerns after reading this.
The first is that It seems that I have to buy an intel NVME and won't be able to use the Crucial.
The second is that it seems that I also have to pay extra for the Hyper card.
As an amateur PC builder, I know very little about the technicalities, so it may be that I have misunderstood.
So my question is: do I have to buy an intel NVME and Asus Hyper card in order to replace my 250 GB SSD with a 1000GB NVME and use it as my C drive?
I'd be grateful for Any help or advice. Cheers.

Solution
z97 only run x2 instead of x4 on the new motherboard.
yes, don't need the card unless using more then one m.2 storage

you do know you need a new cpu

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, I have Windows 10 and a self-build PC. I'm in the process of upgrading it and have bought an Asus Z390-A motherboard, partly because I thought it would be suitable for me to make full use of my Crucial 1000 GB PCLe NVME SSD.
I wish to turn it into my C drive with Windows cloned to it.
In the Asus motherboard user guide I have just read, under "expansion slots", that
" PCLex16. 1 slot supports up to 3 intel PCLe NVME SSDs via a Hyper M.2x16 series card"
It goes on to say that the cards are sold separately. On ebay they cost about £45.
I have two concerns after reading this.
The first is that It seems that I have to buy an intel NVME and won't be able to use the Crucial.
The second is that it seems that I also have to pay extra for the Hyper card.
As an amateur PC builder, I know very little about the technicalities, so it may be that I have misunderstood.
So my question is: do I have to buy an intel NVME and Asus Hyper card in order to replace my 250 GB SSD with a 1000GB NVME and use it as my C drive?
I'd be grateful for Any help or advice. Cheers.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's a Crucial 1000 GB PCLe NVMe SSD .
It's on the old motherboard, which is an Asus Z97-AR. It's in the M2 slot as an ordinary storage device.
That's because I've been told on this forum that on that motherboard it cannot be used as the C drive. It's partly for that reason that I bought the new motherboard.
I think you are saying that I don't need the Hyper card and can use the Crucial on the M2 slot on the new motherboard.
Perhaps the Hyper is needed only if you want to use more than one NVME.
Is that what you are saying?.
Thanks again. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's a Crucial 1000 GB PCLe NVMe SSD .
It's on the old motherboard, which is an Asus Z97-AR. It's in the M2 slot as an ordinary storage device.
That's because I've been told on this forum that on that motherboard it cannot be used as the C drive. It's partly for that reason that I bought the new motherboard.
I think you are saying that I don't need the Hyper card and can use the Crucial on the M2 slot on the new motherboard.
Perhaps the Hyper is needed only if you want to use more than one NVME.
Is that what you are saying?.
Thanks again. Cheers

Hi. Thanks very much for the information. That's a relief, to know that I don't have to incur additional expense. Yes, new CPU, and DDR4 memory, too. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS