[SOLVED] Do I need a seperate am4 cpu to perform a bios update on the upcoming ryzen cpu's?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I plan on buying a third gen ryzen cpu and a crosshair six hero. I know that I need to perform a bios update in order for the cpu to work on that specific board, but will I need to perform the bios update with another am4 cpu or can I perform the bios update with the third gen ryzen cpu?

Solution
I plan on buying a third gen ryzen cpu and a crosshair six hero. I know that I need to perform a bios update in order for the cpu to work on that specific board, but will I need to perform the bios update with another am4 cpu or can I perform the bios update with the third gen ryzen cpu?

You would need to contact the retailer and ask them if the update has been done or can they update it. I also would not build around a 1st gen board, they will work but you will get higher Memory overclocks on an X470.

USAFRet

Titan
Similar:

Suggestion - Buy CPU and motherboard that are compatible out of the box. Instead of new CPU and last gen motherboard.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

You would need to contact the retailer and ask them if the update has been done or can they update it. I also would not build around a 1st gen board, they will work but you will get higher Memory overclocks on an X470.

Solution