Do i need a SLI Bridge or not?!

Terrible_Ted

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Basically i have SLI'd 2 x 260 GTX, "(Thats all i can afford)" :/
anyway I have placed them both in my PC and was told i might not need an SLI bridge, so i went and installed them but only one is showing, I removed the standard 1.8.1.0 driver for nvidia, and reinstalled hoping it would install both at once? Sorry i'm not too good with this sort of stuff, and a Tad little confused, i just want them both working, pleaseeeee could someone help me?! would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thank you everyone!

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
What sli does is it allows 2 GPU's to function as one. Where they both take the load of calculating and generating images basically if you have 2 GPU's then run it in sli, if you don't you'll basically have 2 separate GPU's

If I'm wrong please correct me

Terrible_Ted

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
No, mate i won't Correct you haha! you are right, but i don't have an SLI bridge, so technically it should show i have 2 graphics cards and am Running 2 GPU's yet they are the same cards, and i didn't know if there is a driver involved somewhere down the line or will it only run the one, do i have to have an SLI bridge to have them both working? or so on,

See because i don't know if they should both be showing up yet showing 2 different GPU's as i'm using MSI after burner, because on my girlfriend's laptop it shows both of her GPU's so I'm a little confused. any ideas on anything that i am trying to say? if not tell me I'm talking junk lmao!

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I'm not sure what's happening. It could be anything from a faulty GPU to more unlikely but still possible driver error. Now you need to make sure the card is properly plugged in and all the power cords properly plugged in as well. Besides from that I'm not sure why the computer is only recognising 1, I'd say email MSI asking them about it, they are a good customer support company and should help you out

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Because until then they might as well be 2 completely different cards and will not interact, until you get an sli bridge, remember the top gpu (one in the lowest numbered pci-e slot) will be the one you'll plug you cords into the second you will not plug cords into as its simply acting as an extension of the top card

No just one driver. You do not need to install the drivers twice. But to work in SLI you DO need a SLI bridge. One should have came with your SLI certified motherboard if it did not you need to make sure your motherboard can support SLI in the first place if it can you will have to buy a SLI Bridge. Other wise you are just running to separate GPU's that would not be working together.