Do I need a sound card?

whatdasheet

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
So I'm currently in the process of ordering components for my first build, and I'm curious if i'll need a sound card now or maybe down the road? I know it helps take some of the work of the CPU, but with what I'm getting I'm not sure if I'll even benefit that much for it unless I am trying to get 7.1 surround sound when I play.

CPU: i7 4770k
GPU: MSI 780TI Twin Frozr

Solution
To make full use of a sound card you really need a good headset or pair of speakers, so that is a consideration.

As this is your first build, perhaps using the motherboards onboard audio, try that out & see how you like it. Then when or if you upgrade to a sound card to try it, you will have a good idea of how the sound has improved or not, from your initial audio experience. If you take this route, ensure you use a full sized ATX motherboard, so you have the space with additional PCI slots to add a sound card later on.

If your budget is healthy, which i'm assuming it is from your CPU & GPU, you could take the step into them. Here's a rough guide:

Budget: Asus Xonar DG. Good first step into sound cards & upgrade from onboard...

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014
To make full use of a sound card you really need a good headset or pair of speakers, so that is a consideration.

As this is your first build, perhaps using the motherboards onboard audio, try that out & see how you like it. Then when or if you upgrade to a sound card to try it, you will have a good idea of how the sound has improved or not, from your initial audio experience. If you take this route, ensure you use a full sized ATX motherboard, so you have the space with additional PCI slots to add a sound card later on.

If your budget is healthy, which i'm assuming it is from your CPU & GPU, you could take the step into them. Here's a rough guide:

Budget: Asus Xonar DG. Good first step into sound cards & upgrade from onboard audio.

Mid range: Creative Sound Blaster Z. For those who want more over a budget card & don't want to pay more.

High range: Asus ST/STX or Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR. Audiophile's that have the headphones/speakers to back them up & the wallet.

Solution