Do I need a WiFi and sound card for a PC?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Most motherboards have a sound chip built-in, so you don't necessarily need a sound card. You can always add one later if you are unsatisfied with the onboard sound.

Some motherboards have Wifi cards included (basically the same type you would find in any laptop made in the last 5-6 years), but those seem to be limited to a few high-end models. Depending on which one you pick, you will likely have to provide your own Wifi card if you want or need to use a wireless network.

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
You could spend anywhere from about $15 for a basic 802.11g adapter to the $100 range for the new 802.11ac adapters. Personally, I'd look for at least 802.11n instead of 802.11g because it is a newer and faster standard, while 802.11ac is the newest and fastest, but at the same time expensive due to it not being that common yet.

Wireless adapters can be found as USB devices, or as cards using Conventional PCI or PCI Express x1 slots. If you decide to get a card instead of USB, I'd pick one of the PCI Express cards since those slots are more common on motherboards than Conventional PCI.

Casey