Do I need all versions of an update for windows?

Pinkoyster

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I've had a lot of problems with my pc as of late, and I'm doing a system reset for about the 10th time, and I'm updating windows 8.1.

What I'm wondering is, do I need every version of every update? there are 68 updates on the 'important' tab and there seem to be a lot of duplicates (different tag at the end ie. KB297765 vs KB2894856)

Any thoughts?

Solution

If you are having problems, I recommend that you do NOT download them all at the same time. Some of your issues may be conflict or memory related and you could fail in the middle and be worse off than you are now. Uncheck the top box which will uncheck all the boxes.... look at the KB numbers and try and group the oldest security related updates and check them off 1 by 1 until have have say 200 MB. Do those.

Rinse and repeat with those until there's gone

Then look for say NET framework updates.... group those by version number 3.x, 3.y etc.... again not doing too much at one time.

Save Windows Explorer for last.

After all done run WU again as there's...

foolishcreature

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
If you want to reach the best performance with Windows 8. I would just download them what are you loosing if you do, it will probably perform better. I know when I got Windows 8 I updated all drivers right away its not worth to download them later after many problems. Just do them all now!! I hope I helped :)

Understand the fact that some don't really make a difference, but were put out for a reason by the manufacturer.

Pinkoyster

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Loaded up safe mode and it gave me "We couldn't complete updates Undoing Changes Don't turn off your computer" could this be an internet error or something of the ilk, this is very strange

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

No... No... and double no... You should TAKE YOUR TIME when installing updates. For example... if Windows Updates has like 1GB worth of updates that it wants to install now... You should NOT do such a large chunk because you system could hang. I've seen this happen many times. Just UNSELECT a few of them and break them up into batches. On a new install, it usually takes me about 2 days to get all the updates done.

SBMfromLA is correct. Some of the updates interfere with each other also. The interfering/conflcting ones will inventually install correctly, after reboots.

I'm actually updating this current computer right now from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium now. I actually love Vista. However, I am prepping it for July so that I will get the free upgrade to Windows 10 on this computer also.

After it did the first batch or two of updates, it then installed a Windows Update Service program.
I had to reboot. and checked updates again; It took a long while like 20 minutes to figure out many updates are available, and it displayed 182 updates.

Pinkoyster

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Would a hang up involve black screening?

Pinkoyster

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Are you installing them in small batches, one at a time, or how would you do it? install everything together that doesn't require reboot and stuff that does do it separately? I'm new to system building

If you are having problems, I recommend that you do NOT download them all at the same time. Some of your issues may be conflict or memory related and you could fail in the middle and be worse off than you are now. Uncheck the top box which will uncheck all the boxes.... look at the KB numbers and try and group the oldest security related updates and check them off 1 by 1 until have have say 200 MB. Do those.

Rinse and repeat with those until there's gone

Then look for say NET framework updates.... group those by version number 3.x, 3.y etc.... again not doing too much at one time.

Save Windows Explorer for last.

After all done run WU again as there's still some that could not be installed until the last bunch was installed. Do yet again until it finds nothing to install.

The only time I let it do more than 200 Mb is on a fresh install when ya have nothing to lose .... do those in 3 shots

all the security ones
all the NET ones
all the IE ones

then again

the again

then again :)

Solution

Pinkoyster

Reputable
May 28, 2015
my computer is still acting up but i believe i can check off the windows update as an issue. finally was able to get all the windows updates without any corruptions or interruptions!