Question Do I need an 2080ti?

Krytrix

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
I'm looking into a new monitor (Samsung crg9 32:9) and was wondering if I need a 2080ti to get the most out of it

Currently I'm running a 1080ti on a i7-7700k with 32gb ram, would my setup be able to handle a 2080ti and still get the most out of it and where would be the bottle necks?

Thank you

I'm looking into a new monitor (Samsung crg9 32:9) and was wondering if I need a 2080ti to get the most out of it

Currently I'm running a 1080ti on a i7-7700k with 32gb ram, would my setup be able to handle a 2080ti and still get the most out of it and where would be the bottle necks?

Thank you
There would be a slight bottleneck in some more CPU demanding games. BF1/V etc. But not that much at all. For most other games it will stomp all over them. Going forward though a 4c/8t CPU is fast approaching it's max ability as games become more demanding CPU/mem wise.

That resolution is roughly 1 million less pixels than 4k and the RTX 2080 ti is a 4k card through and through. As far as i'm concerned, this is the only card to achieve high FPS at 4k to match high refresh rate monitors, and may be needed at even 1440p as well as ultra wide models. Seeing how the Samsung crg9 is an insane amount of screen real-estate and graphical demands of new upcoming triple A titles via ultra detail, the RTX 2080 ti is your only option if you expect to get any gaming longevity before another graphic card upgrade is necessary.

Krytrix

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
So my i7-7700k is still ok for the 2080ti
If I also change to a i7-9800 do I need a new copy of windows?
MOBO is Asus ROG STRIX Z270E LGA1151 DDR4

Hello Krytrix. The Samsung CRG9 is a super-ultrawide 1440p (5,120 x 1,440) / 120 Hz / 32:9 aspect ratio display. It's 14,745,600 pixel count at 120 Hz actually represents ~1.78 times the demand of a 4K 60Hz monitor.

In answer to your direct question, "It depends". Which games do you plan on playing across this resolution? Were I in your position, I would do the following to determine the answer:

** questions to self **

What is my upgrade budget?
Which games do I plan on playing?
What would be the fair used sale price of my current CPU and motherboard on Ebay?

Compare selected GPU performance paired with i7-7700K, i9-9900K(KS?), and Ryzen 5 3600. Look at both maximum average FPS and also frame times (pacing). The i9-9900K will likely have the highest FPS, however, determine the opportunity cost of the $300 price difference. Is that money better spent toward the GPU? Maybe, maybe not.

conclusion: Honestly I would probably wait for the release of RTX 2080 Super, and see if the rumor is true: That it will exceed RTX Titan performance. If that is true, then a $700 (USD) RTX 2080 Super and $480 i9-9900K, might represent a better "bargain" than a RTX 2080 Ti. But I would start off with the GPU upgrade first, live with it for a little bit, and see if the performance was satisfactory. That is what I would do.

addendum: Windows license: If it's a retail license then your copy of Windows will remain activated, and if it's an OEM license, then it won't. New licenses can be purchased legitimately for under $30. Anyone who challenges the legitimacy of my statement is welcome to their opinion, but they are mistaken.

TRENDING THREADS