Do i need an adapter for NVMe ?

bralosec

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I have an Gigabyte X99P-SLI-CF motherboard, I thought that is compitable with NVMe PCie chips. But after i opened my computer case i couldnt find the slot, so i search on google and I think I need an adpter like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-PCIe-Adapter-Support/dp/B00MYCQP38/

Please correct me if im wrong - beacuse i want to order it and install it ASAP.
Thanks in advanced, waiting for your answers.

Solution
Move your graphics card into the proper PCIE_1 slot.

The M.2 socket is located at the end of where slot PCIE_5 is located (i.e. Currently underneath your graphics card).

GIGABYTE_GA-_X99_P-_SLI.jpg

jpe1701

Honorable
No it has an m.2 slot for an nvme drive. It's right above the top pciex16 slot. The m.2 drive plugs in and lays flat against the motherboard. You can see a row of holes for differing length drives to be held in place.

jpe1701

Honorable

Ah good pic, the one I looked at it looked like it was above the first slot but it was hard to tell because it was a small picture with a gpu installed.

bralosec

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Thanks you very much both of you! I removed the graphic card, installed the nvme ssd under him and installed the graphic card again (beacuse of cables i cant move it to another slot). and everything seems to be fine!

PCIE_2 doesn't work? It's preferable to PCIE_4 because the graphics card will get 16 PCIE lanes from PCIE_2 instead of the 8 PCIE lanes provided by PCIE_4.

bralosec

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Just now I saw that the slots that i cannot put the graphic card is:
PCIE_3
PCIE_6

I can put it on 2 or 1, which one is prefered to be the best performance one?

When only using a single graphics card you should be using either PCIE_1 or PCIE_2 since both of these slots have sixteen PCIE lanes wired to each of them from the CPU socket. There is an exception for PCIE_2. If you're using an i7-5820K processor then the PCIE_2 slot will only have eight PCIE lanes because of the PCIE lane limitations of that processor.

PCIE_3 and PCIE_4 only have eight PCIE lanes wired to each of them from the CPU socket.

bralosec

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
PCIE_1 didnt work - my screen didnt recognize the computer.
I will check PCIE_2 tomorrow (im back with 5 for now) because i have to work.
Update later, thanks a lot guys!