[SOLVED] Do I need an AMP/DAC for my headphones?

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
Hello, I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm. I was wondering would buying a budget 100$ amp/dac noticeably improve the audio quality or does my motherboard have the ability to fully utilize this headphones. I am currently at 100% windows volume so I know it would benefit in the power department but what about the sound quality itself. 100% windows volume is enough volume.
My motherboard is TUF GAMING B550-PLUS that has Realtek S1200A codec in it if this info helps.
If it would noticeably improve sound quality, could you suggest me a decent budget amp/dac.

Solution
Sadly I dont know anyone that has an amp/dac thats why I am asking here maybe someone has same headphones and they noticed a significant improvement or maybe there are some people that know its gonna be an improvement just by looking at my mobo or something I dunno. amps/dacs are not cheap and i cant just return them unless they are faulty when bought

Audio is a personal thing, even if 6 people said they could hear the difference with different equipment that does not mean you will be able to. There may be a difference but not everyone can tell that difference in an A/B test, and may even prefer the technically worse option sound.
However it won't hurt anything to have the most optimal sound quality on paper so if you feel...

Lutfij

Titan
Since you own both the headphone and the board, my suggestion would be to try it out. Along the lines, see if you have a friend or an acquaintance who owns an amp/DAC to see if your headphones can be plugged in and you're able to try it out. Audio perception will vary from person to person, whereby some people understand what they're looking for while others can't tell what's being sounded off.

Reactions: hang-the-9

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
Sadly I dont know anyone that has an amp/dac thats why I am asking here maybe someone has same headphones and they noticed a significant improvement or maybe there are some people that know its gonna be an improvement just by looking at my mobo or something I dunno. amps/dacs are not cheap and i cant just return them unless they are faulty when bought

I’m not an audiophile but I have enjoyed upgrading my audio equipment over the last 2 years. I was like you, didn’t want to spend out on something I could not try first. I decided what I wanted to buy (Schiit Asgard 3 with multibit DAC) and waited for a good deal on a secondhand one, this way I could sell it for similar to what I paid if I didn’t like it or didn’t notice an improvement. It worked out great for me, really noticeable upgrade, looks like new but paid about 60% new price.

Audio is a personal thing, even if 6 people said they could hear the difference with different equipment that does not mean you will be able to. There may be a difference but not everyone can tell that difference in an A/B test, and may even prefer the technically worse option sound.
However it won't hurt anything to have the most optimal sound quality on paper so if you feel like getting a new toy to play with, go get one. You should be able to find some used stuff locally on craigslist or something, or for a new setup that is pretty cheap the FX Audio DAC-X6 is good, I always recommend that as an under $100 "starter" DAC/AMP. I use it and never felt the need to upgrade to anything.

Solution