Question Do I need an NVMe SSD ?

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
For my new build I was originally intending to use an external 240gb SSD for everything; OS, essential aps and data, but the m'board does support NVMe M.2 SSDs, so I'm thinking I might as well use it. I could have say a lower cap NVMe SSD, about 128gb, for the OS and the external 240gb for everything else.

"Need"?

No.

I'd try to use an internal for the OS and all applications. You have to decide the size. Windows itself takes up under 30 GB.

Possibly NVMe. Not a big deal if it isn't. Slight speed differences. NVMe should be an M.2 drive that does not use cables, which can be desirable.

Ideally, everything else on a second internal SSD. Standard 2.5 inch SATA or maybe another M.2, your choice.

USAFRet

Titan
For my new build I was originally intending to use an external 240gb SSD for everything; OS, essential aps and data, but the m'board does support NVMe M.2 SSDs, so I'm thinking I might as well use it. I could have say a lower cap NVMe SSD, about 128gb, for the OS and the external 240gb for everything else.
Need an NVMe?
No.

Need something other than an external?
Yes. Internals only.
A 240GB is TooSmall if it is the only drive. And running Windows from an external is both difficult and painful if you do get it working.

What is the full parts list in this system?
What is the overall use case?
What is your budget for the drives?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, windows will not install to an external drive as the sole or primary OS. It's windows after an installation that recognises an external drive being plugged in and assigns appropriate resources to deal with the external drive requirements. That can't happen if there's no OS present in the pc to begin with.

Do you need NVMe? Absolutely no, you do not. Sata SSD or HDD will work just fine, whether m.2 or standard form factor is irrelevant.

Count on windows having an average use of @ 80Gb, that includes any and all files plus any working space required by hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and other such requirements.

Between factory files and any extra DLC's the games or you may add onto the game, it's not hard for some games to go beyond 100Gb in size. My Skyrim + mods currently sits at 128Gb, and thats not including any files in use by Steam.

Nothing wrong with trying to cheap out on a budget, until doing so hampers the reason for the pc in the first place. You'd be far better off with a 1Tb HDD than a 120Gb SSD, even if performance from a HDD sucks, it's still better than using an external drive for used applications. External drives are for Storage/Backup, occasional use, not the daily driver.

If you do manage to get windows on an external you might find that it does not boot.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I've said 'external' wrongly, the 240gb ssd is actually internal sata, so apologies to all. Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe getting a smaller cap NVMe SSD seeing as the m'board supports it.

I've said 'external' wrongly, the 240gb ssd is actually internal sata, so apologies to all. Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe getting a smaller cap NVMe SSD seeing as the m'board supports it.

No over-riding reason to switch to NVMe......but maybe you like to be new-fangled to keep up with the Joneses?

Or are itching to buy something?

Or just hate cables?

I'd be much more concerned about proper capacity...allowing for anticipated growth over the next 3 to 5 years. You are the only one with that knowledge.

Reactions: CountMike

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Prices of internal M.2 NVMe SSDs and SATA capacity and quality equivalent ones are practically same so if there's a choice and possibility everything is on side of NVMe. Much faster, no cables and taking space in the case. I have 3 NVME with a fourth one coming to replace 2 xSATA SSDs and one HDD. That's 10 less cables to worry about than if all SATA.
Yes, these are the main reasons for why I want to get one, less cables and clutter, but also because the NVMe slot is available so may as well use it.

Reactions: CountMike