Do I need an Optical Drive to install Windows 10 on a new computer ?

izzyfast

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
So I'm close to building a new computer and I would like to keep my current version of Windows 10. I don't want to "waste" money on a new windows 10 retail edition. I do have an OEM version so I don't really think it would work. But do any of you know a solution to this ? Or know of a way to use an USB ? I'll point out that I have a i5 4460 3,2GHz CPU and my new motherboard is this https://www.netonnet.se/art/komponenter/moderkort/intelsocket1150/asus-z97-p/225856.9001/

The link is in Swedish so if you have any problems just ask.

Thanks !

(And sorry for bad grammar)

Solution

When you install the OS, have only that one drive, the SSD, connected.
That way there will be no question of where it installs to.

USAFRet

Titan
1. If you can transfer this OS, what will you do with the old PC? It now has no Windows license.
2. You can probably/maybe use that license on the new system. As of the Anniversary release (1607), you can link the OS license to a MS account, rather than to specific hardware.

Read more here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

I found this:

Can I transfer Windows 10 to another computer?

OEM :
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

izzyfast

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

This is probably going to sound really dumb but this is my first time building a PC.

If i boot/install windows from my USB, do i choose WHERE I want to install it. Because I obviously want Windows on my SSD, and if not how do I transfer it ?

USAFRet

Titan

When you install the OS, have only that one drive, the SSD, connected.
That way there will be no question of where it installs to.

Solution

izzyfast

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Thanks so much ! If i clean out an SSD that has windows on it, I could technically use that right ? Or would I have to use a new one ? I have a feeling that this depends on what motherboard the older SSD was used with but I'm not sure

USAFRet

Titan

You can use the old one no problem.
During the install, it will ask 'where'.
Select Custom.
You will be presented with a list of existing partitions.
Select each one, and Delete.
Leaving one large space.
Make a single partition out of that, and then let Windows create what it needs.

izzyfast

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

That is my final question, thank you so much you can't imagine how much this helped. "There are no guides that explain in detail" (Quoted because I haven't looked at absolutely all of them) Thanks again ! :D