[SOLVED] Do I need an upgrade for 1080p gaming?

May 21, 2021
Right now, I have

4th gen i5 4590
8GB 1333hz DDR 3 ram,
120 data ssd,
1TB hdd,
Asus B85M-G motherboard,
Seasonic 400w psu
Asus GTX 1070

If I want to run newer pc games (like days gone, cyberpunk 2077, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, HITMAN 3, call of duty: black ops cold war) in 1080p Do I need a system upgrade?
or my current setup is enough for handling above mentioned games?

Solution
So the good news is, with PC games you can lower settings as titles get more demanding to compensate. At some point, you won't be able to lower things anymore, but I doubt you are at that point.

The 1070 is still an okay card, specifically for 1080p. Usually, you are CPU bound at 1080p, so you could get a sizeable upgrade on the CPU /RAM side, while leaving your 1070 intact, and pave the way for a GPU upgrade in the future.

My suggestion to you would be to start tracking your FPS. In steam, you can add an overlay, and there are some third party overlays you can use. Just try and keep things at or around 60fps, or more depending on monitor.

Once you get to a point where you can't lower your settings anymore, and your frames are...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most of those titles I would say yes. You should be able to pull mid/low settings and get a good 60 frame or better experience.
Cyberpunk is a whole different story. In spite of recent optimizations it continues to be a challenging game to run. I would suspect that if you turned "crowd level" down and went with low settings you could achieve 60 frames or close in it.

I still have a 4690 on a 970 in the house. It's a great working computer in spite of it's age.

Reactions: Janathdils

larsv8

Distinguished
So the good news is, with PC games you can lower settings as titles get more demanding to compensate. At some point, you won't be able to lower things anymore, but I doubt you are at that point.

The 1070 is still an okay card, specifically for 1080p. Usually, you are CPU bound at 1080p, so you could get a sizeable upgrade on the CPU /RAM side, while leaving your 1070 intact, and pave the way for a GPU upgrade in the future.

My suggestion to you would be to start tracking your FPS. In steam, you can add an overlay, and there are some third party overlays you can use. Just try and keep things at or around 60fps, or more depending on monitor.

Once you get to a point where you can't lower your settings anymore, and your frames are dipping below 30, its time for an upgrade.

Reactions: Janathdils
Solution
May 21, 2021
Most of those titles I would say yes. You should be able to pull mid/low settings and get a good 60 frame or better experience.
Cyberpunk is a whole different story. In spite of recent optimizations it continues to be a challenging game to run. I would suspect that if you turned "crowd level" down and went with low settings you could achieve 60 frames or close in it.

I still have a 4690 on a 970 in the house. It's a great working computer in spite of it's age.
I might be able to play mid settings. That's what I thought also. Thanks

May 21, 2021

Once you get to a point where you can't lower your settings anymore, and your frames are dipping below 30, its time for an upgrade.

As this system pretty much outdated, I might need a full upgrade to get a better experience. For now I stick with this setup and play games in mid settings. Thanks

larsv8

Distinguished
Perfectly reasonable to stick with your current setup if you can.

If you wanted an incremental upgrade, you might check out an AMD Ryzen 5600z and budget B550 board, and pair it with 2x8 Gig Ram at 3200 / CL 16.

This is probably around 500 USD.

Should be a noticeable upgrade at 1080p

In the future, you could then focus on a new GPU, Power supply and perhaps a better monitor.

Perfectly reasonable to stick with your current setup if you can.

If you wanted an incremental upgrade, you might check out an AMD Ryzen 5600z and budget B550 board, and pair it with 2x8 Gig Ram at 3200 / CL 16.

This is probably around 500 USD.

Should be a noticeable upgrade at 1080p

In the future, you could then focus on a new GPU, Power supply and perhaps a better monitor.
The 5600X is going for $408 in the OP's country atm vs $170 for the 10400F.

He could pair that Intel cpu with 3200Mhz RAM and this $107 H510 board.

https://www.barclays.lk/itemdesc.asp?ic=MBDA0006
Asus Prime H510M

Reactions: helper800
The 5600X is going for $408 in the OP's country atm vs $170 for the 10400F.

He could pair that Intel cpu with 3200Mhz RAM and this $107 H510 board.

https://www.barclays.lk/itemdesc.asp?ic=MBDA0006
Asus Prime H510M

Similar performance and much cheaper. Its the better way to go right now.

Reactions: Why_Me