Do i need an Upgrade?

brianwilker20

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
I have a Amd FX 6300 CPU. I need to know if i need to upgrade it for newer games. I have a few that seem to jump or stutter from time to time.The problem is i was told that this would be the highest cpu my Motherboard can handle. I have a Ms-7641 Motherboard. Are there any other Cpus i could with with this Motherboard that would be better. Or do i need a whole new Motherboard + Cpu. Also would Switching to an Intel Cpu be better for this Motherboard?

There are so many posts about this CPU and the answer is always the same.
Yes you need to change to something more modern.
My answer is always the same, you have 2 options
Jump to an entire new platform AMD Ryzen which means new CPU/Mobo/Ram
or the slightly cheaper option
Buy Intel i5/7 4 Series cpu with motherboard and get to keep your DDR 3 Ram... You can get a decent i5/7 with mobo for $200 ish on ebay

btw you can't put an Intel chip in an AMD motherboard and Vice Versa

brianwilker20

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018

So the only real option is to get a new cpu/motherboard/ram? Do you have any suggestions that are not super expensive. I play pretty much all games from AAA devs. I have a gtx 1060 6gb and 650W Power supply.

I always suggest Ryzen AMD because at least the motherboard will be working for the next 2.5 years.
If you go Intel, your motherboard will be out of date by next year.
Ram is expensive now, so that's the biggest problem as you need at least 8GB which is why I suggest second hand to keep costs down and will keep you going for the next 2 years

Cioby

Distinguished

Oh damn I was gonna say you're right or this is the solution but you lost me at your "out of date by next year".
As someone that had 3 GPUs and 1 motherboard (MEDIUM RANGE not high quality) + 1 i7 4770k overclocked for over 6 years. You're full of s*it sir.

Besides that, he's right, getting a cheaper DDR3 system (like mine) will still run most games atm, we don't know what the future holds. But since you got a decent GPU and RAM (and hopefully PSU), you could get a used motherboard and a 4th generation Intel from someone reliable or that looks clean and cared for. That's the cheapest option. The other option is new generation system with some of the newest parts and DDR4 (just to make sure you don't have to upgrade in the future again, like I did, with the motherboard + CPU and I only upgraded other stuff, I ran with 780, 980ti and now a 1080ti, no problem)

And if you want to know which is the best from the 4th generation, you'd be lucky to get a good 4790k, the 4770k is decent but much hotter.

To answer your original question, unless you have issues with some new games, you don't need to upgrade. Your GPU even if bottlenecked will always give you the most juice/performance boost in an upgrade. And you have a decent GPU.

I'm still right, you can disagree if you want. You still can't buy NEW Intel chips that will fit in the Z170, unless it's old stock. So the motherboard IS outdated, it lasted 9 months. So yes INTEL will screw you over if you go that route, because the system is made to be non-upgradable. Everyone who bought a 7 series Intel. cannot upgrade. They have reached the end of their life already. Only upgrade IS new motherboard and new chip. With AMD you can upgrade the AM4 until 2020.

I will try and break it down to even simpler terms....
Intel 8 series, will be replaced in Q1 2019 - that is highly likely a NEW motherboard, meaning that any 8 series chips won't work any more, so that is classed as End Of Line.

Just because you have an i7 4 series, doesn't mean its upgradable, you are also at the end of your line. The difference is, that Intel made then Z87 and Z97 motherboard which meant the 3 gen and 4 gen (and some 5th gen) worked on the same motherboard.

Intel gen 7 lasted 9 months. Hence, NON-upgradable.