[SOLVED] Do I need an upgrade?

tobhuse

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Hi peeps!

I'm currently considering an upgrade to my system, but it's been a few years since i've been able to do it. I am asking you guys since i've gotten really good answers here before. So, my current system:

Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
i5-6600K OC to 4.3 GHZ with an Noctua cooler with push-pull config. (Don't remember the name atm.)
GTX 1070 8GB
8 GB of Ballistix RAM (I know, too little)
SSD for OS
HDD for other stuff. (Games etc)

Any suggestions is highly appreciated!

Solution
If you need an upgrade really depends if your happy right now with what you have. If you are happy with performance, then you dont need an upgrade. You have a decent build with decent parts. I would suggest getting more RAM. 16gb is the norm now for a gaming rig.

Quad core CPUs are starting to become dated, but the 6600k is still a good CPU and for games that are not too CPU heavy (which is most) the 6600k will be just fine. But in games that use more cores, such as BFV, you will see a nice jump in performance, especially if you are playing at 1080p.

If you went with a Ryzen 3600, it would not be a bad upgrade in CPU heavy games and multitasking. But you would need a new motherboard. So it wont be too cheap. You could also...
If you need an upgrade really depends if your happy right now with what you have. If you are happy with performance, then you dont need an upgrade. You have a decent build with decent parts. I would suggest getting more RAM. 16gb is the norm now for a gaming rig.

Quad core CPUs are starting to become dated, but the 6600k is still a good CPU and for games that are not too CPU heavy (which is most) the 6600k will be just fine. But in games that use more cores, such as BFV, you will see a nice jump in performance, especially if you are playing at 1080p.

If you went with a Ryzen 3600, it would not be a bad upgrade in CPU heavy games and multitasking. But you would need a new motherboard. So it wont be too cheap. You could also look for a used 6700/7700. They are still very good CPUs for gaming and have 4 more threads.

Solution

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
Hi peeps!

I'm currently considering an upgrade to my system, but it's been a few years since i've been able to do it. I am asking you guys since i've gotten really good answers here before. So, my current system:

Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
i5-6600K OC to 4.3 GHZ with an Noctua cooler with push-pull config. (Don't remember the name atm.)
GTX 1070 8GB
8 GB of Ballistix RAM (I know, too little)
SSD for OS
HDD for other stuff. (Games etc)

Any suggestions is highly appreciated!
only a ram upgrade. 12 or 16 gigs are great.

tobhuse

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Does it perform well for your needs & games? If so you can hold off or consider a different upgrade such as the monitor.

I've had very few problems with it so far. Been changing my paste every now and then just to be sure, but not much else. Have two 144hz monitors also, so it's pretty neat. Just wanted to make sure since it's been awhile! Think i'm just upgrading my RAM for starters. Thanks!

WildCard999

Titan
I've had very few problems with it so far. Been changing my paste every now and then just to be sure, but not much else. Have two 144hz monitors also, so it's pretty neat. Just wanted to make sure since it's been awhile! Think i'm just upgrading my RAM for starters. Thanks!
The memory would be a good idea but just a heads up, even if you add in a identical kit there is a rare chance it may not work as memory can be finicky. And depending on the cooler you may be able to push out a higher overclock, depending on the game a few hundred mhz may make a decent difference.

tobhuse

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
The memory would be a good idea but just a heads up, even if you add in a identical kit there is a rare chance it may not work as memory can be finicky. And depending on the cooler you may be able to push out a higher overclock, depending on the game a few hundred mhz may make a decent difference.

I'm probably gonna buy a new better kit of 2666 or higher. Any suggestions? I feel like more memory the better, right? And my cooler is the Noctua NH-U12S with push-pull. I can probably push the OC a few hundred mhz more, since I have not tampered with the voltage yet..

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Good point. Will 3000-32000 speeds work well with Intel tho?
Your current motherboard supports those speeds so there should be no issue unless your going to mix the current kit with the upgrade kit (better off selling the current and buying a 2x8gb kit). To get the correct speeds make sure XMP is enabled in the BIOS.

Intel supports higher speeds but they make little difference in gaming.

tobhuse

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Your current motherboard supports those speeds so there should be no issue unless your going to mix the current kit with the upgrade kit (better off selling the current and buying a 2x8gb kit). To get the correct speeds make sure XMP is enabled in the BIOS.

Intel supports higher speeds but they make little difference in gaming.

I see! Well, memory it is then. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. :)