Question Do I need another PSU for my new build ?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
So I just finished a new build:
MBD: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX WiFi Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5000 Series
GPU: RX Radeon 7600

I had an older PSU, a Cooler Master 500 watt RS-500-PCAR-D3. After plugging in the mobo It appears I only have a 6-pin power plug left from the power supply and the GPU calls for 8-pin. Am I screwed? Do I need another PSU? Or is there another option?

Thank you!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem not your fault 😉

Same price here. At least Newegg doesn't redirect me so was ready just incase Amazon was overpriced. For $80 it is a good buy, psu shouldn't be skimped on.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm650-650-w-80-plus-gold-certified/p/N82E16817139324

Corsair make cheaper units like VS but really only suitable for office type systems without a graphics card. RM comes with 10yr warranty. RMx is better again, then HXi but are more pricey. RM is good and will serve you well. There are other brands of course, cheaper units with 1~3yrs warranty i would steer away from.

Tier A or B should be the only considerations.

Last edited:

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
No problem not your fault 😉

Same price here. At least Newegg doesn't redirect me so was ready just incase Amazon was overpriced. For $80 it is a good buy, psu shouldn't be skimped on.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm650-650-w-80-plus-gold-certified/p/N82E16817139324

Corsair make cheaper units like VS but really only suitable for office type systems without a graphics card. RM comes with 7yr warranty. RMx is better again, then HXi but are more pricey. RM is good and will serve you well. There are other brands of course, cheaper units with 1~3yrs warranty i would steer away from.

Tier A or B should be the only considerations.

Yeah I wouldn't even know how to look through all those I'm just gonna take your advice and get that one and be done with it. Thank you very much my friend. I suppose that's my next piece of education, to learn about PSU's.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. Warranty is a good indication of psu quality.

I don't think your old psu is modular, as in cables you plug into the psu. The Corsair Rm is and the cables are labelled. But if old psu was modular or for your further knowledge, never mix cables from different power supplies or even off the shelf replacement cables unless it is specifically for that model. Pinouts aren't always the same across brands and sometimes models from the same brand. Always use cables the psu comes with, pcie, cpu, atx, sata, anything that plugs to the psu.

RM is Tier A btw.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
You're welcome. Warranty is a good indication of psu quality.

I don't think your old psu is modular, as in cables you plug into the psu. The Corsair Rm is and the cables are labelled. But if old psu was modular or for your further knowledge, never mix cables from different power supplies or even off the shelf replacement cables unless it is specifically for that model. Pinouts aren't always the same across brands and sometimes models from the same brand. Always use cables the psu comes with, pcie, cpu, atx, sata, anything that plugs to the psu.

RM is Tier A btw.
Good to know. Your right the old one is not modular. So the one I ordered definitely has the regular 20+4 pin and an 8 pin for the Board and then another 8 pin for the GPU right? Sorry I wouldn't even know how to look for that. I hope so because I ordered it. I also just realized one of the case fans is a molex connection. I'm curious if it will have one of those. I actually only spent 57 bucks because I had 27 in Amazon bucks I didn't realize. :) Good thing you told me about the cables because I had an older 800 watt that had some extra cables and I probably would have tried using them had you not told me that! LOL
Thanks again Boju! Time for me to call it a night! at 7:30 in the morning haha.