Do I need anti virus on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarnSomeRespect

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I'm just gaming and I really just download games from Steam. All I have is the free MalwareBytes to protect my PC.

But my question is: Do I need some sort of real time anti virus?

Respond with your answer.

MS Essentials is better than nothing, but, there are certainly other superior free real time scanners.....

(Might want to take a look at UVK, which, as a part of it's "System Repair Tab", installs and runs sequentially: MBAM, Super AntiSpyware, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Avast aswMBR, Adwcleaner, and Avast Browsercleaner; it also has numerous process examination, suspension, and maintenance option)

I've stopped using an antivirus about 2 years ago, and have had absolutely no problem. And I do sometimes go around shady sites. And I use internet explorer 9-11.
So an antivirus is not strictly necessary. But it is still advisable.
I do this because I know how to fix my own computer, have a back up of everything, and if I ever encounter a problem I won't be worried and I'll just fix it.
For some reason, I've never had a virus in my pc, though.

But if you want to protect your system, have3 important data or can't be bothered formatting if something goes wrong, then an antivirus program would be very advisable.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Do you need antivirus software? No. Is it a good idea? That depends on what your browsing habits are (from web browser choice, to what websites you use, do you open emails, etc.), whether you are running an active firewall, if you monitor your computer's running processes often...

I've said it a billion times by now: Your antivirus software should be the last line of defence against infections. If you aren't comfortable with your computer security as is, then fix the more important stuff first (browsing habits, what you plug into your computer, what programs you use, and so on). If you still face problems, then yes, I would say "need" is apropos in that particular scenario.

Most people are too lazy to use proper security measures, so they think they "need" security software. Software engineers constantly remind us of how "dangerous" the internet is, and many AV wares/security suites will give you flags for every little thing that could be harmful... but the reality is most harmful things are easily avoidable, as they rely on poor end-user security methods (like only relying on an AV software to protect them, and intentionally sucking at everything else because the software is "supposed to protect them"). Another thing I've had to repeat many times is also simple: if you "need" a security software, then the software won't be very useful when put into perspective. The error rates of security software are much higher than we can test for, because there are a number of vulnerabilities that are legally kept under wraps. If you rely on your AV/security software to protect you, then you likely will leave other security holes open, and your security software might not catch that...

So, realistically, it comes down to what kind of computer user you are, and how secure you make your computer without the use of AV software. If you don't update your computer regularly, then security software probably won't do you too much good, as it's designed to work with computers that are up to date. I can go on forever about this, and already have in other threads lol.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

That is the number one reason I have a person ask me to fix their computer. If you don't update for a few months, you're likely to have huge vulnerabilities that go un-patched, and are very likely being exploited as we speak. Since AV software is primarily designed to be used with an up-to-date machine, even an AV software isn't going to be enough in that scenario. Two faulty links in the chain.

I know that, and that's why I recommend people who ask me to update their systems.
I, myself, don't do it, because I don't have a problem with fixing my PC if anything goes wrong.
But what I find strange is that I have never had any problems so far, and have been using these methods for quite a long time already...

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Care to exaggerate on how you know you don't have any problems? I've not once yet seen an outdated computer that has zero verified problems. Then again, I guess "problems" is also a subjective term. I have cleaned up computers that were "working" for the owner, but were what I would call "practically useless."

smackers_12

Honorable
Not updating windows leaves you open to known security vulnerabilities, anbello you are basically opening yourself up to a hackers wet dream. Your opening yourself up because as soon as microsoft patch it everyone knows the issue. By not patching you leave yourself open but hey, you want to leave yourself vulnerable its your problem.

Just to clarify:
I don't disagree with you. I know that outdated windows is a lot less safe. I'm just saying, as an interesting statement, that I've never had any issues. No virus, no performance degradation, no account stolen...
If you can suggest a way that I can check for sure if there's any problem in my PC, I will be open to try it.
I don't care very much about protecting my PC from hackers, mainly because I've never had any problem with that, and I don't have sensitive data in my PC.

I actually find it amazing how people with working Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall and updated windows keep getting infected/attacked...

And, as a second statement, I would find it easier and more comfortable to just fix my PC in case anything goes wrong than endure the so frequent update cycles when turning on/shutting down the PC. HDD+slow internet connection aren't a great combination for Windows Update.

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread. That wasn't my intention. MY intention was just to insist that the most important safety measure is just to be responsible when surfing/downloading.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

For everyone's information, "hijacking" this thread is actually beneficial to the OP's question... just saying. This isn't very far off topic. With that said...

If you don't have a real method of checking your system, then you really can't say "I never have any issues;" just clearing that up. If that statement is built on very basic usage, user perception, and not much/anything else, then there is no real way of you to know whether your computer has a problem. Checking your computer with Bitdefender's free AV scanner, and running MBAM and/or HitmanPro to double check for malware, will help you figure out if there are any infections. If you know how to spot infections without tools, then that is another thing entirely (a skill that very few have, and even I screw up with). If you know how to personally comb through processes, Windows services, and so on, then that's one thing that will come in handy; unfortunately, this is not a widely used, or understood method with the general public.

Also, stating "I've never had a problem with hackers" is a fairly interesting claim. You don't have to see a hacker doing anything on your computer to know you've been hacked; nor do any personal accounts have to be hacked/abused. Sometimes hackers collect information, store it, and then sell it. Some will plant keyloggers on your computer, or simply install exploits that can be tapped later when desired. Not all hackers even care about doing things you would easily notice; sometimes they just want to set up mock accounts that are close/similar to yours, and use your personal data to make things look more legit. As an extreme example: some children have had mortgages in their name before the they reached the age of 10, thanks to identity fraud, and poor lending verification practices. Again, this is an extreme situation, but it's only one of countless ways someone can do something detrimental to you, without your knowledge. You may not find out that something was ever going on; you may find out years from now. Why take the risk? If you don't care, then that's one thing; if you care, but are lazy about taking precautions, then I would personally suggest you stop slacking off. Just driving a point.

Here's a fun laptop example: I once saw a professional hacker on a news program talking about security/etc. (the kind of hacker who was hired out of his prison cell for government work), and he had a nice story. He was asked, by a reporter, to check out a laptop, as it had been "acting funny." There was nothing blatantly wrong, but things weren't working as smoothly as they could have. Long story short, this reporter had an infection on his/her laptop that was taking screenshots every few minutes, and stored them in a semi-hidden directory. The bug was programmed to send these screenshots to an private email/server, but there was one minor flaw within the code. The programmer forgot to write code that would automatically delete the screenshots after sending them; this was the main reason the bug was found. Had the programmer written the bug properly, it would easily have been overlooked.

In fact, there are many bugs that go unnoticed for quite some time, by professionals, every day. There is no realistic way to prevent every single infection; you can only prevent the known ones. There are people paid to keep exploits secret, and some hackers may write code for undocumented vulnerabilities; therefore, anyone can be hack until the exploit is found and patched. The bug I mentioned on the reporter's laptop was, at the time, an unknown bug. Take that story however you like; the details may be slightly different from the original, but that's the essence of it. If I can find the video again, I'll post it. The difference between my computer and yours? My computer won't be vulnerable to such a hack after it's been patched... yours will be.

Also, all the talk about "I don't have anything they would be interested in" is a load of crap. It's amazing what kind of information is bought and sold. You may not think you do anything that is of interest, but someone else might take interest in what you're doing. Again, if you don't care about your information being vulnerable, that's all your call. If you really do care, then you aren't showing it, and I'd recommend you change your habits. With computers, it's a matter of whether you care about your information being bought/sold/traded/stolen/etc.; the argument over whether you have something worth buying/selling/trading/stealing has been over for quite a while. You do have something that somebody wants, and they will likely find a method of obtaining it; computers make that a relatively easy task. Decide on whether you care about protecting your information, and to what lengths you would like to go to; that's what the focal point really should be. Also, decide on whether you really care about preventing infections; most of these are typically written by people who perform phishing, run webpage redirect scams, and overall generate a profit from their infections (somehow). The days of kids writing virus/malware code for fun are gone; this is a highly profitable business venture.

Correlation does not equal causation. The most common reason for this is because many people believe their AV software is all they need to protect their computers, and they end up slacking on every other security measure, thereby resulting in more problems. Also, people who have security software will typically be alerted of infections before they would notice a problem with their computer otherwise. They may not actually have a real problem, but their software caught/blocked something; that's better than trying to get rid of it post-infection.

Personally, whenever I've run security software, in the past, I came up with nothing but false flags/alarms. I have come upon a single infection lately that I've not been able to track down the source of, or even a trace of the file name online (this happened a day or so ago). Webroot randomly popped up while I had my web browser going on in the background; no traffic that would have spurred this, not even a mouse click in blank browser space. This is the first time I've had this sort of thing happen, in over fiver years; and I have my internet traffic heavily protected... so, who knows? This could be the first case of me getting a genuine infection, in spite of my obsessively safe/secure internet traffic practices. If I'm getting shit like this, and I'm a security nut... you are bound to have something malicious on your computer. I'm hoping this is a false flag, but it doesn't look like one. Nevertheless, if you don't practice similar security measures, in comparison to what I practice, then you are bound to have at least a few infections; they may be low level, relatively harmless, or even worse.

I don't think you really understand what "fixing" your computer really means, should things go tits up. Fixing your computer would include updates, and a genuine measure of preventing the same problem from recurring. If you simply try to remove the infection, and do not patch your system, it's only a matter of time before you are reinfected. What is really the easiest method of "fixing" that problem? Do you really think it's easier to do a quick fix, and then possibly have to repeat it over and over? Do what you want, but your reasoning is not very logical from an objective point of view; that's my point. Also, fixing infections can be very tedious, and highly time consuming. The last few computers I've worked on ranged from two hours up to a couple of days (spending upwards of ten hours total).

Computers are like cars; when you finally have to address a problem that has been habitually ignored, you are finally forced to deal with it, and you fix the problem correctly, then you will almost certainly find another problem that needs to be fixed... and another... and another... until you've essentially doubled/tripled your estimated labour, and maybe more. Luckily, computers don't have the same repair bill for parts; although, they still have pricey labour charges. And yes, five hours glued to your computer, trying to fix it, sucks almost as bad as paying someone. If you don't believe me, you will when the time comes.

The biggest number of exploits tend to come from those who do not update. As I said before, "I have cleaned up computers that were 'working' for the owner, but were what I would call 'practically useless.' " There is a base line for "working"... and running outdated software (especially out-of-date operating systems) does not fall under that category. Do what you like, but do so with a realistic idea of what to expect.

Aby enlightened

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

one of my friend does the same thing.he never updated windows and he is saying i am not having any problem,why i should i update. once i copied a document from his computer to the usb drive and pluged it into mine,there over 250 infections flagged by my antivirus.yet his computer is fine. he is spreading the virus and others to other people computer,so u never know how many u have!!!

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Almost an identical story to how I obtained my first computer infection lol. The only real difference is it came by way of fixing someone's computer, and not giving a damn about what I plugged into her computer, and then mine. Bareback USB hopping can be like herpes. Seriously.

I'm sorry if I don't respond to everything correctly. It was quite long so I might forget to reply to some parts.
I will clarify that I'm somewhat knowledgeable in computers, although not too much. I've worked fixing computers (mainly software) for about 7 years, but just as a hobby (nowhere near full-time). I've seen a number of cases, very different issues, even some that I wouldn't even have imagined before seeing them. (The most unexpected and surprising for me one was someone with an infected router/modem).
I insist that I agree with you. I'm not saying that you're wrong.

When I said that I'm amazed at how people running the correct protecction software get infected, I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying they get infected because they are running it. I'm saying the exact opposite:
"I'm amazed at how they get infected even when they are so well protected."
I'm amazed by how people fail to follow basic security, most of them out of ignorance. I don't blame them, I just get surprised by how much a basic set of habits can affect your chances of getting infected.

About checking my computer, I know very well the processes and services that I have running on my PC. I'm still learning, and there are always some things that won't show up so easily, though.
At the moment I'm using some Antivirus, since a few months ago (to prepare a big back-up at that moment), so that checks from time to time. Again, I know very well that it won't be enough if the vulnerability is on the OS itself.

About hackers: I never said I don't have anything interesting for them to steal. I said that I don't have anything that I care about having stolen. I believe my personal information is public enough with common advertisements, trackers, google itself, etc.
I know that there exists a risk that I might find some issue years from now. I just believe that risk is small enough to not outweigh my reasons for not putting an extra effort on protecting. It's not about slacking off; it's about a personal, somewhat weighted, choice.
As you said, I don't really care about my information being vulnerable. At the time at least, I believe that the risk, given m y habits and practices, is small enough not to outwheigh the alternative.
I don't care about "personal" information being stolen. I only would care if it was financial information or similar (something with real tangible effects, not just "ads" or "social network account stolen/copied"), which is quite safer (again, given my ways of doing that stuff).

I would care a lot more about the kind of malware/exploit that affects my PC's performance. And I'm quite sure that my performance is as good as it could be given my PC specs. I've not had a noticeable or annoying virus/infection for years. I believe I've not had any infection, as there have been no signs of any infection.

I understand what fixing means. As long as hardware is not affected, it's very easy to solve. If quick fixes don't work, just a format and OS reinstallation, and everything is fixed. I do that anyways about once a year, just for maintenance.
(And I know that there are some malware/exploits that might damage hardware. I believe that the chances of getting that are small enough for it to be irrelevant).

I agree with you that "fixing" a known issue isn't doing exactly the same. So, when I find that kind of issue, I change my habits enough to avoid that particular problem. Not more than that, since the effort of protecting all those unknown fronts is quite heavier than the effort of fixing my PC if something would happen.
Again, for some reason I don't understand, I've not had any kind of noticeable infection for years.
The logic I find is that, simply put, the effort of preventing is quite more than the effort of fixing, in this case.

I don't personally find it annoying to have to spend 4-5 hours fixing a PC, especially if it's my own PC. I find it interesting, as every new issue I find is something new I learn.
I don't see how you say "running an outdated OS" is not "working". If performance (for the purpose the PC is used for) is the same as it would be with an updated OS, then it's working.
In most people's cases, working would be also protecting personal information, as they expect that from their PC. I don't particularly care about that. I just want it to run my programs, visit my websites, play my games, and it's working perfectly fine for that purpose. When it does not, I will fix it. And if that fix includes updating, I will update.
I'm not blindly "not updating because I hate updates". I do so because I believe that in my particular case, effort outwheighs benefits.
As I have implied, I do have a realistic idea of what to expect.

I know that my case is far from what is recommended. I myself recommend other people the correct ways to protect their systems. I don't follow those guidelines, but I do so knowingly, and informed of the risks.

So, basically, I know my risks and I knowingly choose this behavior.
I'm not denying that there might come a time when I decide to start updating. When that time comes, I will most likely do just one manual big update very few months instead of leaving it to auto-update. At this specific moment, I don't do it, and don't feel the need to.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I tried to keep it concise, but I realise the wilfully ignorant won't even had read this far lol. This is obviously for those who are interested.

I understand that you agree with me in some ways. I'm just expanding on things that I find to be either wrong, or inconsistent with the research I've seen. Agreed, people typically exercise a high level of ignorance/carelessness when using computers. I think this is the result of the "if I buy it, it isn't allowed to ever break" mentality that runs rampant in many Western societies. That thought aside, I'm kind of surprised most people have computers, phones, and tablets that still are fairly operational after a couple months. I guess that's a little cynical though lol.

I didn't say they get infected because they run the software either; I was getting at the way they handle things. The whole mentality I see goes like this: install AV software, do whatever the hell I want because I'm protected, get infected, bitch about how my AV software doesn't work, and pay someone to fix it. Okay, not exactly like that, but you get the idea ;)

I do blame them, but only because they choose to believe a sales pitch from some twit who's paid to sell software, instead of listening to someone who actually knows a thing or two about computers. Sometimes, I think people live by the words of George Bernard Shaw a little too literally (even without knowing it), "All professions are conspiracies against the laity." I think people avoid educating themselves to a point where they can make a truly educated choice, because they don't think the return is actually worth it.

Short and sweet: if you do any banking/financial transactions on an outdated computer, then you are easily risking your financial information, and likely more so than all the information that FB/Google could ever want. As I said before, the days of harmless infections are practically over; viruses and malware are written to get money out of users. Stopping the ads/other exploits that are used for the harmelss activities (like what FB/Google do) will put a substantial damper on the malicious guys, as they have no problems using the same techniques. If they can use those techniques to get to your computer (and they can... and do), then not stopping the most basic exploits is asking for problems.

If you don't use this computer for any financial transactions, then cool. If you do, you'd be better off keeping your computer updated, if you actually want to ensure a decent amount of protection from financial hackers/etc..

From what I've seen, the most efficient malware at stealing information, and/or finances, is the kind that doesn't impact system performance. The only time you're going to have noticeable performance differences is when the programmer doesn't care about you knowing their malware is on your system, or when they get stupid lazy. You can fit a virus on the microcontroller of flash memory (SD cards, SSD hard drives, or USB flash drives, for example), and the user will never know what happened. What can you do with that virus? Pretty much anything you like, just like all viruses... from harmless to destroying a person's life. The ones that slow down your computer are probably just ransomware, or some other scam that is pretty basic, and made to let the user know they are infected. The ones you need to look out for are silent and deadly.

If the programmer does things properly, you could, in theory, infect the BIOS (with the right set of circumstances). Also, there are many types of viruses that can disable the software fail safes, and kill hardware by running them hard. There are also viruses that kill the software fan controllers. Hardware can easily be infected/affected. Also, consider hardware to not only include your computer tower, but also any digital media you burn/write, all storage devices, flash memory devices and storage (flash memory isn't always limited to storage), as well as any hardware that has a potential for software hacks (pretty difficult to find a device that isn't vulnerable to this). Your chances of this happening on an outdated computer are fairly high, by comparison to an updated computer; updated computers have a negligible risk, not outdated ones.

Formatting your computer, won't actually solve a virus problem, just like how it doesn't make previous data unrecoverable (common misconception). If your BIOS became infected, or any hardware becomes compromised, then reformatting doesn't really help you. If you reformat, and don't know exactly how to prevent the infection from returning (usually the reason why a person reformats their system), then your risk of having the exact same issue again is fairly high. I don't see how that helps a user. And, while reinstallation can help improve performance, a person shouldn't need to do that every year to for "maintenance" reasons. It really doesn't take much effort to keep your computer running very close to new for over 2 years; maybe an hour a week of effort, if you run extremely slow hardware, and combine the time into a lump sum. I don't spend much more than ten minutes (total) per day, to keep myself from getting an infection; with or without AV software. Only this last week have I ever had a positive result that I cannot confirm is a false positive. How long do I spend on my computer each day? Upwards of six hours; and yet I only need to take about ten minutes of my day to make sure I'm secure. I don't know how that's such an inconvenience to people. But I digress.

Actually, taking preventative action will save you more time than it takes to fix everything. If you're starting from square one, with a copy of Windows 7, at the original retail level, yes... it will take more time to get it running up to date than to fix your computer ONCE. If you have to fix your computer multiple times, the way you would compare initial efforts, to the time spent fixing, is by combining the amount of time you spend fixing your computer into a lump sum. For example, If you spent 12 hours to get your computer updated, and ready to go, but you spend 4 hours every year to fix problems that you wouldn't need to fix if you simply would stay up to date, you are effectively even in work time after three years. Here's another way to look at it: I can spend upwards of six hours to fix a person's computer, but it takes me only 1 hour to get their computer up to my level of security (after getting them updated), and I may spend another hour to educate them on what tools I gave them. I'm really only spending a maximum of three hours giving them the tools needed keep their computer from ever needing another 6 hour repair job. Is the initial effort more time than fixing it? No; in fact, it's half the repair time. And, of course, that's repairing the problem, instead of doing everything the cheater way (wiping, and reinstalling everything). If all I did was reinstall everything, I could easily charge people about $30/computer "fix", and make about $120/day, on a bad day. While it's profitable, it also ensures the people who use these computers have no idea what the problem was, or how to avoid having it again. Make sense now?

Maybe you see it differently? I don't need to take too much time to get someone's computer on a comparable level of security as mine; although, I spend MORE time tweaking my own computer to test various things, and to see where I can cut back on excess junk, to see if I can improve the Windows experience overall. I wouldn't call that "security time," or even consider it as time spent doing anything more than simply fiddling around in my spare time.

I don't know if you've actually ran a properly updated PC... but it's significantly faster, more efficient, and typically has a lot of excess trimmed down from the original release; as well, patches/updates help improve the efficiency/effectiveness of the original running processes to help improve performance. I really do not believe you have a realistic idea of what to expect from updates, because you seem to be basing your expectations on faulty evidence. I don't know what your internet connection is like, or what hardware you are running; however, if you're running older/dated hardware, updating will always benefit you. If you're running a newer gaming rig, and you're streaming video games, then you really don't have to worry so much about update times, or bandwidth. I don't see where it's actually detrimental to you; and that's mostly because it isn't. Even if your internet connection is super slow, you could likely find someone to help you update your computer with the use of a flash drive, and do so every couple weeks. There are ways of speeding everything up, as long as you care about doing it to begin with.

If you really don't care about keeping your computer up to date, just leave it at that. Your reasoning for it just doesn't make any sense, and is either based on faulty information, or faulty perception. I've yet to hear a single good reason for not updating, from anyone, other than "I just don't want to take the time." If that's your real reason, then there's no need to make other excuses that can be proven wrong.

Again, I think you're choosing this route based on faulty assumptions, evidence, and a lack of understanding exactly what you gain from putting in a few hours of work into the initial installations, as well as with the continuous updating of your computer. Talk to any computer expert, and they will tell you something similar to this, "If you do not update, your computer will be far less secure, and it will be significantly slower than it should be." They may add a little, or change that a bit, but that's a known fact. I cannot stress this enough. Will it make your computer magically 10x faster? No, you need hardware upgrades for that. Will it make your computer perform in the best possible way, with what it has? Absolutely.

I just returned a co-worker's laptop to him (housing the old Turion x2), and here's what his problems were: outdated Windows Vista since 2009, all the original crapware installed by HP, about a dozen pieces of malicious malware, and roughly 50+ PUPs. After removing all of the malicious crap, only updating to roughly the year 2010's status, removing all the junk that was weighing it down (doing thorough removals), and even doing your basic routine maintenance (running registry cleaners, and the like), his computer didn't benefit very much. His startup times went from 6-7 minutes to about 5 minutes, and shut down times were still too long for me to bother with. After updating all of his drivers (originals), and updating him to the latest version of Vista, he's now able to use his computer within 2-3 minutes of pushing the power button, and shut down takes about a minute. Also, his computer can actually function at a speed that a speed freak (like myself) can use without getting too frustrated. The biggest problem here is that he's running Vista; however, Vista is a nice example of just how effective updates really are to performance.

Originally, Vista was so bad, there was a parody calling it "Windows CEMENT" (after combining Windows CE, ME, and NT). After a year or so of fixing mistakes, computers didn't have too much problem running them, and it currently is just a little more demanding than an updated Windows 7 computer. Windows 7, without updates is significantly less efficient, and substantially slower overall; although, to notice the real difference, you need to have a true side by side comparison.

Like I've said, do what you like; I just think you're really misinformed. Talk to security guys, hackers, whomever you prefer that knows a fair amount about security; and maybe talk to a few programmers while you're at it. Updates are not only great for security, but they also help your computer perform better. There's no real reason to avoid updates. If you're running stupid slow internet speeds, then ask someone to help you update your computer with a flash drive; it can be done relatively easily, and without taking too long, if you care to bother with it.

I know there are many people out there who agree with you wholeheartedly, and believe that updates are not worth the effort; but I think this giant post should help put to rest these misconceptions. Hopefully this also helps the OP, and other people who stumble on this thread. I've seen plenty of people run outdated computers, and use AV software to compensate for it, and the OP's question is pretty much the exact question asked. Just trying to help educate; that's why I'm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS