willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hello people!

I have setup a new network using a BT Openreach Huawei HG612 modem and an ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC2900, which replaced the nasty lump of plastic that TalkTalk made me purchase with their fastest broadband package, which is laughably up to 70.2Mbps (I should've stayed with Virgin Media 😬). You can use all the adjectives synonymous with speed that you want to TalkTalk, but it won't make your flaccid signal any more robust (only another seven months to go before I'm out of that deal)! Anyway, that filth kept dropping out and had terrible wireless signal strength, and was also giving me a load of problems trying to run it as a standalone modem because they don't just give you an option to use in 'Modem Mode' like Virgin do, so as to deter people like me from using better third party equipment, presumably!

Anyway, the setup was super easy and I've turned on AiProtection, which I've read is really rock solid, and was wondering whether I actually need AVG on my PC now, because if I don't need it, I'd rather get rid of it as it has been known to interfere with the odd program – Aura, LiveDash and most of Asus' shoddy software has a nasty time with antivirus software (I'll never get those hours back) – and slow down boot times and various other things. I already have Windows Defender on, and the router has a firewall built-in anyway, even without with AiProtection on. So what is your opinion? Do I uninstall the freeware or is it still too risky?

Over and out . . .

Solution
It's never a bad idea to keep the antivirus. The built-in features in the router will protect you from some things, but not from all - especially if you download some less-than-legal stuff and try to run it, or bring something from a friend on USB stick.

To me, it sounds like you don't have problem with antivirus per se, just with the specific version. If you have problems with AVG (many people do!), try different one. I understand that you have the free version, with frequent annoying pop-ups.

There are plenty of other options out there, as many other antivirus makers are providing basic free versions. I am personally happy with free version of Avira, and the pop-ups are limited to like once a day.
Jul 24, 2019
It's never a bad idea to keep the antivirus. The built-in features in the router will protect you from some things, but not from all - especially if you download some less-than-legal stuff and try to run it, or bring something from a friend on USB stick.

To me, it sounds like you don't have problem with antivirus per se, just with the specific version. If you have problems with AVG (many people do!), try different one. I understand that you have the free version, with frequent annoying pop-ups.

There are plenty of other options out there, as many other antivirus makers are providing basic free versions. I am personally happy with free version of Avira, and the pop-ups are limited to like once a day.

Solution

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Call me a tin-foil hat wearing paranoid, 😨 but even if your system is "sandboxed" I'd keep anti-virus software installed and updated if you have EVER connected ANYTHING from that system to the internet even to get the anti-virus software and updates.

And did I mention? BACK IT UP! Of course, then you have to worry that the backup contains a virus.

And, while it will never happen, the proper term to use is "malware."

"A virus is just one type of malware, but the term is more widely used by the public. The term malware refers to any malicious software, including a computer virus." - from Comodo Security Systems (so I suspect that the definition is biased since they SELL security software) o_O

That's my public service announcement for today.

Reactions: the-GURU-man

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Thanks to everyone for their replies! I've done some more research on the subject and it seems that using Defender in conjunction with a good malware program is a good option for keeping things from interfering with programs, while at the same time protecting the PC from internet filth. I went with bitdefender as I've been using AVG for about 15 years at this point (how time flies :eek:), and that was primarily working as an antivirus program.