[SOLVED] Do i need any specific power cable to power my GPU?

Jabed_

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
I recently bought an MSI 2080 ti x trio.
This has an 8+8+6 pin setup.

Do i need to use all 3?
My setup only has 8+8 cables, i tried it and my PC does not boot up.

I have a Corsair 650w txm power supply.
Will a cable like this directly connect from my power supply to my GPU correctly? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A98YRS4

I have read that you need correct PSU pinouts or it may kill your GPU?

Solution
Yes, you must use all three.

No, you cannot use that cable. First, as you note, pinouts are not standardized on the PSU's end. Which means that using a cable that isn't specified exactly to the proper power supply could destroy your power supply, your GPU, and even more. Second, that would only be effective in the event of missing cables, not a connection that the power supply was not configured to have.

You have two good options. One is to return the GPU and purchase a less aggressively powered version; there are plenty of 2080 Tis that don't require that many connectors. Your other one is to replace the PSU with something that's configured with at least three PCIE 6+2 connectors. Quality power supplies with the proper...

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes, you must use all three.

No, you cannot use that cable. First, as you note, pinouts are not standardized on the PSU's end. Which means that using a cable that isn't specified exactly to the proper power supply could destroy your power supply, your GPU, and even more. Second, that would only be effective in the event of missing cables, not a connection that the power supply was not configured to have.

You have two good options. One is to return the GPU and purchase a less aggressively powered version; there are plenty of 2080 Tis that don't require that many connectors. Your other one is to replace the PSU with something that's configured with at least three PCIE 6+2 connectors. Quality power supplies with the proper connectors can be found around $100. For example, the EVGA GS 650 has four as does the Corsair RMx 650.

Solution

Jabed_

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
Ok so the only options are to replace the power supply or replace the GPU?
In this case, the ROG Strix 2080 ti will have the same power connectors, 2 x 8-pin .
This should obviously be fine, right?