rcampbell578

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Hello all!

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900x from a Ryzen 7 2700x. On my 2700x, I just used the included Wraith Prism cooler and managed to cool my CPU pretty well. So when I decided to upgrade, I figured I'd need to go with a beefier CPU cooler. However, I decided to install the 3900x with the Wraith Prism and spend a couple of days going through my normal workflow and checking temps on a regular basis just to see how it handled it. Here's how it's performing:

Idle Temps: Usually hold pretty steady at around 40-41C
Normal Usage (Watching movies, typing documents, surfing web): Mid-40s or so
Rending Video: Topped out at about 75C after about a half hour of rendering
Light Gaming: Hovered around Mid-60s-ish
Cinebench: Benchmarked for 10 minutes and it hovered in the low to mid 80s

Not really sure what kind of temps to expect. I think for what I usually do, temps look pretty good. The hardest I ever work my PC is video rendering for maybe 2-3 hours at a time, but usually not much more than that.

I was considering a better air cooler. I've been looking at a couple of them, the main one being a Dark Rock Pro 4 from Be Quiet!. My question is this: Do I really need better cooling? If I decided to go with something like the Dark Rock Pro 4, would I see any benefit? And how much could I expect it to lower my temps on average? Keep in mind that I'm not overclocking either, just running the CPU normally.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
You don't "really need better cooling", however, a better cooler is just good practice. IMHO.
You'll see better temps, but bear in mind that your current temps are just fine, especially because you're not overclocking...yet...

Every new computer I build, I normally live with it stock for a while, then upgrade the cooler later, of course, it's a no-brainer.
The lower temps might prolong the life of your CPU, especially if you choose to start overlocking a bit. I'm against leaving any free performance on the table, if you know what I mean. A little OC for the RAM and VGA card as well can't hurt.

Having said that, earlier this year, I upgraded from a Noctua U9s (w/ 2 fans) to a EKWB 240 AIO. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see that much...

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
You don't "really need better cooling", however, a better cooler is just good practice. IMHO.
You'll see better temps, but bear in mind that your current temps are just fine, especially because you're not overclocking...yet...

Every new computer I build, I normally live with it stock for a while, then upgrade the cooler later, of course, it's a no-brainer.
The lower temps might prolong the life of your CPU, especially if you choose to start overlocking a bit. I'm against leaving any free performance on the table, if you know what I mean. A little OC for the RAM and VGA card as well can't hurt.

Having said that, earlier this year, I upgraded from a Noctua U9s (w/ 2 fans) to a EKWB 240 AIO. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see that much of a difference in temps utilizing my most aggressive OC of 5 GHz on all cores of the CPU. I leave it like all the time, even though I know it throttles big time under synthetic testing. I'm just hoping that the throttling doesn't affect me in game.

It's really up to you, but I recommend the Dark Rock Pro 4 or similar. Some of the guys around here are totally in love with Noctua, so if your case fits a D15, that will certainly improve thermals.

PS: my current setup has the EKWB AIO 240 installed in the top with two blacknoise M12-P fans.

Reactions: rcampbell578
Solution

rcampbell578

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Having said that, earlier this year, I upgraded from a Noctua U9s (w/ 2 fans) to a EKWB 240 AIO. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see that much of a difference in temps utilizing my most aggressive OC of 5 GHz on all cores of the CPU. I leave it like all the time, even though I know it throttles big time under synthetic testing. I'm just hoping that the throttling doesn't affect me in game.

It's really up to you, but I recommend the Dark Rock Pro 4 or similar. Some of the guys around here are totally in love with Noctua, so if your case fits a D15, that will certainly improve thermals.

PS: my current setup has the EKWB AIO 240 installed in the top with two blacknoise M12-P fans.
Thanks, this is great advice!

Yeah, I've looked at the Noctua cooler. That was one that I considered. However, I really like the looks of the Dark Rock Pro 4 and it kinda fits with the whole look of my build so I'll probably go with that one eventually.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS