[SOLVED] do i need display port for freesync?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
from what ive found i need displayport to use freesync, but with all the moniters ive looked at say they support freesync, but have no displayport? is this false advertising or do i need a display port and dp cable to use freesync. thanks in advance :)

Solution
You need to check the specific monitor but Freesync can be supported over HDMI, this is how TV’s use it too.

Yes, FreeSync technology has supported HDMI since its inception. Many FreeSync certified displays have supported variable refresh rate technologies over HDMI since long before HDMI 2.1 was released and HDMI VRR was adopted. Buying a FreeSync certified display that supports FreeSync over HDMI, provides the immediate benefit of variable refresh rate, even if the display does not support HDMI 2.1.

Taken from https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-Does-AMD-FreeSync™-technology-work-over-HDMI®?
You need to check the specific monitor but Freesync can be supported over HDMI, this is how TV’s use it too.

Yes, FreeSync technology has supported HDMI since its inception. Many FreeSync certified displays have supported variable refresh rate technologies over HDMI since long before HDMI 2.1 was released and HDMI VRR was adopted. Buying a FreeSync certified display that supports FreeSync over HDMI, provides the immediate benefit of variable refresh rate, even if the display does not support HDMI 2.1.

Taken from https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-Does-AMD-FreeSync™-technology-work-over-HDMI®?

Solution

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
how do i know that? can you try and find it with the monitor i want
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-...MgCxFRfA5d8RbsAa6uDQIDpuVWZ7oeZIaAnlUEALw_wcB
Normally I would say you need to read the manual but I looked and the manual for that monitor is very poor, it has very little information that you would find on high end brands. However the monitor only has 1 VGA and 1 HDMI port. VGA does not support Freesync so we can only assume that the HDMI does support Freesync as they say the monitor supports it.

I have seen other monitors where Freesync is not supported on all ports and the instructions clearly list what ports do support it.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Normally I would say you need to read the manual but I looked and the manual for that monitor is very poor, it has very little information that you would find on high end brands. However the monitor only has 1 VGA and 1 HDMI port. VGA does not support Freesync so we can only assume that the HDMI does support Freesync as they say the monitor supports it.

I have seen other monitors where Freesync is not supported on all ports and the instructions clearly list what ports do support it.
will g sync work though?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Unless you can find a review where someone has tried it that is impossible to say. The monitor is not G-Sync certified, now that does not mean it won’t work. Some non certified Freesync monitors work perfectly, however some have issues.
alright, thanks! ill try and look for some reviews and if i cant find any ill have to find a monitor with dp.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Unless you can find a review where someone has tried it that is impossible to say. The monitor is not G-Sync certified, now that does not mean it won’t work. Some non certified Freesync monitors work perfectly, however some have issues.
is freesync really that important. im not looking to spend huge amounts of money on monitors with a dp so i can use freesync. all the monitors ive looked at that have freesync and a dp are either very costly, or have huge bezels.

alright, thanks! ill try and look for some reviews and if i cant find any ill have to find a monitor with dp.
G-Sync support has nothing to do with dp. Just because a monitor has dp does not mean it will support G-Sync. The only way to know if G-Sync will work is either choosing a monitor that has certified G-Sync support (NVidia have a list on their website) or find a monitor that has been reviewed and shown to have good support.

As an example I have a TV that is G-Sync certified but does not have dp.

bignastyid

Titan
G-Sync support has nothing to do with dp. Just because a monitor has dp does not mean it will support G-Sync. The only way to know if G-Sync will work is either choosing a monitor that has certified G-Sync support (NVidia have a list on their website) or find a monitor that has been reviewed and shown to have good support.

As an example I have a TV that is G-Sync certified but does not have dp.

Actually you can enable G-sync on Freesync monitors that have not been certified as Gsync compatible. However using Gsync on a monitor does require the use of displayport. Only the recent Gsync compatible TVs support gsync via HDMI.

from what ive found i need displayport to use freesync, but with all the moniters ive looked at say they support freesync, but have no displayport? is this false advertising or do i need a display port and dp cable to use freesync. thanks in advance :)

AMD cards support freesync over HDMI so it's not false advertising.

Actually you can enable G-sync on Freesync monitors that have not been certified as Gsync compatible. However using Gsync on a monitor does require the use of displayport. Only the recent Gsync compatible TVs support gsync via HDMI.

AMD cards support freesync over HDMI so it's not false advertising.
I had covered in a prior post that it doesn’t have to be G-Sync certified but you need to check reviews. I thought the DP restriction has been lifted by driver updates when the G-Sync certified TV’s support started. However I have actually only ever tried it over HDMI on a certified TV.