Question Do I Need G-Sync Monitor To Future-Proof?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,

I was thinking about buying a non-G-Sync compatible GPU i.e. GeForce 1660 Ti. Initially I thought that I only need G-Sync monitor but it turns out that now I also need compatible GeForce GPU that supports G-Sync. I estimate that it will get expensive to have G-Sync monitor and GeForce 10xx GPU to avail of fast gaming experience.

Do I really need G-Sync monitor (future-proof?) or I should get by with normal monitor? And if I buy normal monitor, should I at least get 75 Mhz refresh rate monitor over 60 Mhz monitor?

DEADLY9996

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
G-Sync Ultimate is G-Sync v3 which supports HDR and a few other specifications the monitor has to meet.
G-Sync the standard everyone knows about by now.

G-Sync Compatible are FreeSync monitors that fit to Nvidias standards (whatever they may be), so the user will/should have a decent experience with an Nvidia card on said Freesync monitors without issue.

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@DEADLY9996 What if I get nVidia card with Free-Sync 144 Hz monitor that DOES NOT support G-Sync? Will monitor at least keep up with 144 Hz frame rate using its V-Sync? All I need is to prevent tearing effect but I don't really need adaptive sync.

DEADLY9996

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
@DEADLY9996 What if I get nVidia card with Free-Sync 144 Hz monitor that DOES NOT support G-Sync? Will monitor at least keep up with 144 Hz frame rate using its V-Sync? All I need is to prevent tearing effect but I don't really need adaptive sync.

Nvidia cards from Geforce 10 series onwards will support Free-Sync Monitors, now from what i've read, this means basically any Free-Sync monitor, however how well it will run on said monitor is a big question. The G-Sync Compatible monitors have been "tested" and certified to be compatible with Nvidia cards, working with little to no problems.

Monitors without the "G-Sync Compatible" certification you will just have to ask around and see if anyones actually tried and tested it.*

*By this i mean the adapative sync.