Do I need Hyperthreading?

exo336

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I am currently in the process of building my first gaming computer.
what i understand is hyperthreading is not really advantageous to gaming or can even be detrimental in certain situations. but what is unclear is what effect hyperthreading would have in a real world situation.
when people test HT vs NO HT its always in raw game performance but when i am gaming i always have other applications open, like chrome, spotify, software for my mouse, and other things. I also want to be able to run my minecraft server while playing games. would paying the extra $100 for the 6700k be worth it? the cost really isn't an issue but if i can save money that would be nice. thanks for any help on this subject

Solution
Hyperthreading gives the CPU about 30% more throughput on average, without increasing single-threaded performance. It's not necessary for gaming with some basic stuff open in the background, but would help if you're doing streaming in the background, or do things like rendering and encoding.
Hyperthreading gives the CPU about 30% more throughput on average, without increasing single-threaded performance. It's not necessary for gaming with some basic stuff open in the background, but would help if you're doing streaming in the background, or do things like rendering and encoding.

Solution