[SOLVED] Do I need memory cooler

Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

I'm going to upgrade my workstation from 64GB RAM to 128GB RAM on an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II motherboard. The module with 32GB per stick seems not yet available, so I might go for 8x16GB setup with CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB kit. The sticks have heatsinks on it and the kit also comes with two memory cooling fans. I want to turn on XMP to get their 2666MHz but no other overclocking would be applied. Is it thermally safe to NOT install these fans, because they are too tall to work with my CPU fans? Or should I use use the coolers for the XMP condition? Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
You're fine running them as is. What cooler are you working with on the CPU? Typically an air cooler or an AIO would induce airflow in your case, to take some of the heat dissipated from the sticks of ram, though the heat given off by the rams would be nominal.

Lutfij

Titan
You're fine running them as is. What cooler are you working with on the CPU? Typically an air cooler or an AIO would induce airflow in your case, to take some of the heat dissipated from the sticks of ram, though the heat given off by the rams would be nominal.

Solution
Apr 25, 2019

Thanks Lutfij for your quick reply! I'm using an Noctua NH-U12s with two fans in push/pull configuration. If I don't install the memory coolers, is it still fine to turn on XMP for their marketing 2666Mhz (no other overclocking will be applied)?