Question Do I need more than 60hz for casual gaming? and 4k streaming

levm38

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
I am planning to upgrade my PC, I mostly play Black OPS 4, 1h per day and thats it. I read somewhere that you need 5ms response rate and at least 74hz refresh rate. But my main computer user will be Music Production, Software Development and KODI/Netflix Streaming (I dont want to buy a separate TV), as I have the PC in my own bedroom.

I do however, want to be able to stream 4K content, and play my game with good quality settings, (I dont care about ultra high quality), I am planning to get a 580 video card

With this in mind, should I worry about monitors with more than 60hz? Free Sync/G Sync? and those features are needed?

I do however want to have a bigger monitor, mine is 22 inches only, and well for watching TV from 4 meters distance, I would prefer 28 or 32 inches, based on this i can filter down my search

Ah and less than 500 euros

Feb 20, 2019
For casual gaming, the only big benefits for a high refresh-rate monitor is the much smoother experience that comes from moving from 60hz to 144z. G-Sync and Free-sync are both just technologies to reduce tearing, as they make it so that the monitor outputs the amount of frames that the gpu itself puts out.

A nice side-affect of having a 144hz 1ms gaming monitor is that often they have better looking screens and better stands than the cheaper 60hz stuff, so you may be paying a bit more but getting more than just a higher refresh rate. If you look on craigslist you will likely find some good deals on gaming grade monitors, half price off new often as people upgrade to larger/higher end screens.