[SOLVED] Do I need more VRAM or RAM

Jul 21, 2020
My Specs:

AMD FX 8320
GTX 1060 3gb
8GB DDR3 RAM
2 Toshiba HDD
ASROCK 970A-G/3.1 Mobo

Question: In most of my games, ive been noticing lower than expected framerate. Even in CSG, which is such an easy game to run, when I play competitive, I struggle to get 60-80 FPS. When I start the game its like 50. I know i should be getting better performance. Should I upgrade my Graphics card, or ram? In watch dogs 2, it says not enough ram to keep a stable frame rate. Also, when in the city, and driving in Watch Dogs 2, it stays at around 30FPS. What should I do?

Solution
My Specs:

AMD FX 8320
GTX 1060 3gb
8GB DDR3 RAM
2 Toshiba HDD
ASROCK 970A-G/3.1 Mobo

Question: In most of my games, ive been noticing lower than expected framerate. Even in CSG, which is such an easy game to run, when I play competitive, I struggle to get 60-80 FPS. When I start the game its like 50. I know i should be getting better performance. Should I upgrade my Graphics card, or ram? In watch dogs 2, it says not enough ram to keep a stable frame rate. Also, when in the city, and driving in Watch Dogs 2, it stays at around 30FPS. What should I do?

Any meaningful upgrade at this point is going to be a platform upgrade; the 2012 platform what was always a disappointing one for gaming is the biggest performance problem on...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
My Specs:

AMD FX 8320
GTX 1060 3gb
8GB DDR3 RAM
2 Toshiba HDD
ASROCK 970A-G/3.1 Mobo

Any meaningful upgrade at this point is going to be a platform upgrade; the 2012 platform what was always a disappointing one for gaming is the biggest performance problem on your PC. RAM is only the cause if you're actually running out and it's having to use slower resources. You're already at the point, GPU-wise, at which an old AM3+ CPU is about at its limit, so while a GPU with more VRAM will help in some scenarios, you don't have a CPU that can take advantage of an upgrade. You'd do better in the short-term to turn down your texture quality.

Solution
Jul 21, 2020
Any meaningful upgrade at this point is going to be a platform upgrade; the 2012 platform what was always a disappointing one for gaming is the biggest performance problem on your PC. RAM is only the cause if you're actually running out and it's having to use slower resources. You're already at the point, GPU-wise, at which an old AM3+ CPU is about at its limit, so while a GPU with more VRAM will help in some scenarios, you don't have a CPU that can take advantage of an upgrade. You'd do better in the short-term to turn down your texture quality.
Alr Thanks. What CPU would you recommend on AM4 thats not too expensive?