Question Do I need motherboard drivers?

Jun 19, 2022
I just build my first pc and I went to start installing my drivers. I installed my motherboard drivers and then I restarted my pc but then I got a blue screen with the error message "BOOT DRIVE INACCESSABLE" (or smth like that). I went into Automatic Repair and did a system restore and it went back to before I downloaded the motherboard drivers and my pc works fine now. So do I need the drivers?

kanewolf

Titan
I just build my first pc and I went to start installing my drivers. I installed my motherboard drivers and then I restarted my pc but then I got a blue screen with the error message "BOOT DRIVE INACCESSABLE" (or smth like that). I went into Automatic Repair and did a system restore and it went back to before I downloaded the motherboard drivers and my pc works fine now. So do I need the drivers?
This sounds like you tried to use a Windows install from a previous motherboard. If so, not surprising it failed.

Anytime you want to know if you need drivers the solution is to open the Device Manager app and see if there are any unsupported devices on your list. You'll see various symbols for such devices like a yellow triangle with an exclamation point or a yellow question mark. Generally the most common drivers needed are the Chipset drivers and the Serial IO drivers.

Last edited:

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Go into your motherboard bio's and make sure the hard drive you installed window on is the first drive to boot from. Then reboot the Pc. If that is successful check out the name and product number of your motherboard and do a google search for the drivers for it from the official site. Then download and install them. Hopefully you can get the up to date drivers for it. Once you have loaded all the drivers reboot Pc and it should be job done. Hope this helps & good luck. 👍