[SOLVED] Do i need new cooling for my Ryzen 5 5600x?

Aug 9, 2020
So I'm using Ryzen 5 5600x with stock cooler and im using pbo, but in games temperatures are from 65-84°c. Do i need to buy watercooler?

Solution
I'm not going to say you need watercooling, because that's a personal choice, but I would certainly consider seriously the idea of BETTER cooling of some kind. At over 80°C, assuming Zen 3 boost profile behavior is in line with what we saw from Zen 2, then you can be pretty sure that you are in excess of the recommended continuous use temperature for Ryzen CPUs, and that your boost profile is being reduced/throttled much sooner that it would otherwise be if you were at a lower operational temperature.

Air cooling is fine, so long as you get a capable air cooler.

If you want some options that would be good in this scenario, I'd be glad to offer a few. I would entirely avoid entry level air coolers like the 212 series, Gammaxx 400...
I'm not going to say you need watercooling, because that's a personal choice, but I would certainly consider seriously the idea of BETTER cooling of some kind. At over 80°C, assuming Zen 3 boost profile behavior is in line with what we saw from Zen 2, then you can be pretty sure that you are in excess of the recommended continuous use temperature for Ryzen CPUs, and that your boost profile is being reduced/throttled much sooner that it would otherwise be if you were at a lower operational temperature.

If you want some options that would be good in this scenario, I'd be glad to offer a few. I would entirely avoid entry level air coolers like the 212 series, Gammaxx 400, eSports, etc. The 120mm coolers are simply not that much better than the stock cooler and are mostly just a waste of money. They're better, but they are not ENOUGH better to justify the cost. If you're going to spend money, spend money on an actual long term solution, not a band aid.

Solution
Aug 9, 2020

If you want some options that would be good in this scenario, I'd be glad to offer a few. I would entirely avoid entry level air coolers like the 212 series, Gammaxx 400, eSports, etc. The 120mm coolers are simply not that much better than the stock cooler and are mostly just a waste of money. They're better, but they are not ENOUGH better to justify the cost. If you're going to spend money, spend money on an actual long term solution, not a band aid.
I'm thinking of buying Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2, is it good enough?

Ok. Well, most people don't have a similar experience. It's great that worked out for you, but I'm afraid you'll find very few people who agree that a 120mm AIO is sufficient for any Ryzen 5 or higher CPU unless you've disabled PBO and probably also tamed down the basic boost profile as well. But it's great that it works for you. I just don't think that is a wise plan for most users.

Reactions: alexbirdie