Do I need new Cooling paste for my CPU or just better cooling in general?

Jorani

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Allright, I bought the parts for a brand new PC and put it together back in October 2016. I got myself the i7 6700K with the Corsair H100i V2 and I used the pre-applied cooling paste though knowing that it probably wouldn't last long, since I had heard a lot of bad stuff about it. And now it seems like it's about time to replace it... But I am not entirely sure about that.

I initially started to get worried due to my PC starting to randomly shut down programs without really having anything CPU, GPU or RAM heavy open. Over the course of yesterday evening, it made Microsoft Paint, paint.NET (two times), Photo Gallery and earlier it wouldn't play any YouTube videos at all, despite no longer loading the page or the video (at least not visually). In the recent days up until this post, I have also had trouble with it loading and playing FL Studio files, when only FL Studio is loaded. I am aware that it could be a virus infection, however my PC won't allow me to scan it using Avast without shutting down Avast pretty quickly and neither MBAM or adwCleaner can find anything malicious at all (the Avast problem may also be due to my vast amount of files, although that also sounds as a quite weird reason).

However, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge regarding CPU's, so I performed a CPU Temperature test using HW Monitor and I don't know if the results are acceptable or not, when considering what I did for testing it.

I have previously read that 70-80 degrees C would be somewhat acceptable for an i7 6700K Stock under full load (mine is stock as I have no overclocking experience and won't try it out with my current cooling setup), although keeping it under 65 C would be preferrable. So that's what I tried to do. I let the HW Monitor run together with Chrome (which had Facebook and YouTube open, with a video running on YT), Steam, Skype, paint.NET, Sketch Up and Minecraft with a world containing a massive build inside as so to push it that bit extra.

My CPU's temp. lies around 30 C at idle. But under the little test they went as high as 69 C (that was for core 1). I also kept at eye on my GPU's temp (in my setup its only my CPU which is watercooled, the rest is air cooled with two 140 mm pulling in and two 120 mm pushing out). And my GPU's temp. went from 46 C to 63 C. And the 100i V2 stayed around the 30 C (the 140'ies are pulling air in through the radiator grill of the 100i V2)

I suppose nothing would really happen if I changed the Cooling paste, except a possible better performance, but Idk if it's just the paste or the general cooling or both that I may have to upgrade. Which is why I am here. To make my shakespeare explenation a bit easier to reply to, then I have taken some screenshots of the Temperature test:

http://

http://

The first picture is of the CPU Temperature. The second is of the GPU and the 100i V2 Temperature.

I hope I have been coherent enough. I've tried to explain as much as possible. If anyone who can help, needs any more information, just ask and I'll try to provide it (depends on how deep in my system the info lies. Sure, I can dig into x86 and such. But Idk how to open all the different kinds of files). I do have some pics of a standalone CPU Benchmark I made with GeekBench if that can be of any use. If needed, I can also try to run both GeekBench and HW Monitor and provide pics of the CPU temperature. I can also provide a better explenation of my setup and such, as well as pics of my setup.

Sorry for the Shakespeare size post.

your temps look normal.
Random shutdowns might be due to memory compatibility glitches. Have you got the latest BIOS for your motherboard ?
What make and model mobo are you using ?
If you want to do a boot time virus scan, you could use Kasperski Rescue 10, burn it to a USB stick using Rufus, then boot onto it so Windows does not start up, allow it to download virus definitions, then wait for the scan to run.

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
The temperatures themselves are within range, but imo it's maybe a little high for the usage you've thrown at it. But I too get the impression that there may be some virus going on. Is it a cracked version of FL Studio? Because they sometimes give viruses. Do the boot scan as stated above.

Then when you've "cleaned" the PC, check the temps again, and try out some stuff to check the overall stability.

Jorani

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

My BIOS should be the latest. I always update it whenever an update comes, just to be sure that I have the latest. My mobo is the MSI Z170A Gaming M7. I've never tried to do a boot time virus scan, but it sounds like a good solution. I'll try it out the way you said and report back with new tests afterwards. Thanks :)

Jorani

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

My FLS isn't cracked, I decided to buy it because legal stuff and such, but I'll try out the boot time scan.. And for good measure I might as well buy some new paste next month so I am prepared if the heating gets worse or if the cleaning now doesen't do much. Rather safe than sorry :)