Do I Need New SATA Cables When Upgrading to an SSD?

Debojit Sinha

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi,

This might sound like a really noob question, but I'm thinking of swapping out my 250GB SATA drive for a Samsung 840 Series 120 GB SSD, which clocks at 6 GGB/s data rate. Do I need to change my SATA cables for this as well, or are my existing cables good enough?

Thanks,

Solution
@Illumynization: Sounds like you're right. I've been tricked because some cables are labelled SATA-3, SATA-2, etc... So I always thought it would limit the bandwidth. But I did a little bit of research and it seems like it's a marketing gimmick and there's no difference between SATA cables.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Yes there could be a difference between cables. It's usually written on the cable in small letters which type you got. For a SSD you need a SATA-3 cable (6Gb/s).

If you use SATA-2 or SATA-1 cables, it will still work but the speed will be reduced.

By the way, if you get a Samsung, make sure you get the new 840 EVO. For the 120GB model, the write speed is like 3 times faster for the EVO compared to the standard 840. The price should be about the same for both so the EVO is a much better bang for your bucks :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247

All sata cables are the same (except esata) since sata is backward capatable. The sata controller will deliver data to the drives at their rated speed minus overhead. Putting a sata 3 SSD/HDD on a sata 2 controller will limit the speed to sata 2 specs. Putting a sata 2 SSD/HDD on a sata 3 controller will limit it to sata 2 speeds. Basically, the host and device will negotiate the top speed.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Lmao, no buddy, the cable itself does not matter. SATA 3 cables have a clip on the ends whereas the other two do not. Same speed from all the cables.

Indeed you should get the 840 pro over the evo and the evo over the 840. Look into MLC vs TLC for SSDs as it will help you decide.

MC_K7

Distinguished
@Illumynization: Sounds like you're right. I've been tricked because some cables are labelled SATA-3, SATA-2, etc... So I always thought it would limit the bandwidth. But I did a little bit of research and it seems like it's a marketing gimmick and there's no difference between SATA cables.

Solution