[SOLVED] Do I need NVME for this gaming build, or is SSD 860EVO ok?

Sep 9, 2019
Here's my build I am about to work on this weekend, its a secondary gaming PC to hook up to my living room TV.
Goal is to run most games at 1440p60 on HIGH or VERY HIGH, and older games at 4K. I could also run newer games at 2160p with resolution scaled down to like 50-60% and use TAA, since I am sitting 6-8 ft away from my TV it won't look so bad.

Ryzen 5 2600X
RTX 2060S
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000Mhz
Corsair PSU 550W Brozne 80+
Coolermaster Hyper212 EVO RGB CPU fan
Corsair Carbide 275R case

I already have the 500GB 860 EVO laying around as a spare drive, so I really don't want to shell out for an NVME, unless I have to, but with my CPU being mid-grade will it really make enough of a perceptible difference in Windows bootup and game performance?

I have another older 500GB Crucial SSD to use as secondary drive for more game storage.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution
I upgraded from an 2.5" SAT3 SSD running my OS, to a NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus for OS (and another one for games), and to be honest it wasn't much of an upgrade.

Some tasks are definately performed faster, but when using my PC for general daily use and gaming, I hardly feel the difference between the SATA3 SSD and the NVMe drive.

I'm happy with my upgrade, but it is too much money for something that isn't exactly essential.

I would save the money for something else, and just use your current SSD
I upgraded from an 2.5" SAT3 SSD running my OS, to a NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus for OS (and another one for games), and to be honest it wasn't much of an upgrade.

Some tasks are definately performed faster, but when using my PC for general daily use and gaming, I hardly feel the difference between the SATA3 SSD and the NVMe drive.

I'm happy with my upgrade, but it is too much money for something that isn't exactly essential.

I would save the money for something else, and just use your current SSD

Solution

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
For anyone else seeing this topic, while you don't need an NVMe drive, depending on local pricing you can often pick one up for little more than a higher end Sata drive.

Given you already own 2 of the drives though, no need to shell out more than you already did. :)