[SOLVED] Do I need RGB ram

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
I'm wondering if I need RGB ram because I'm going to be using the Noctua NH-D15 and I don't know if the Noctua NH-D15 will cover my RAM. I will be using both fans on the Noctua NH-D15 and the RAM I was looking at is the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB. If you know please reply. Thanks!

Solution
The D15 front fan will cover the first and second slot with just the heatsink and cover all 4 slots with the front fan. IF the case has enough clearance, you can raise the front fan to clear many sticks, but not all.

With a D15, rgb ram is not useless, it's still ram, just the RGB part will be useless for the most part.

Gskill snipers, Corsair lpx

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
We are, I think getting a bit off the topic of this post and into build questions.
But, since this is your post, I guess that is ok.
Some thought s on the build:

A decent rule of thumb for a gamer is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
From that metric, I think the 3700X is about right.
What kinds of games do you play?
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, the 16 threads of the 3700X is good.
For most other types such as sims, mmo and strategy games, single thread performance is more important.
Today, I would look at the newly announced i5-10600K With 12 threads and a high clock rate.
Certainly no more than the 16 thread i9-10700K.
For fast action games, perhaps a stronger graphics card.

ON your storage setup, I would favor a 1 or 2tb m.2 pcie drive.
Omit the HDD, you can always add bulk storage later.

PSU is excellent.

16gb is fine for just gaming. If you will be multitasking while gaming, then 32gb is more appropriate.

Your case comes with good rgb fans, no extras are needed or useful.

so you're saying the graphics card is overpriced?
I play different types of game-like rust or Sims I switch through different types
sometimes I do watch youtube videos while gaming
(personally I love rgb but ur right I can always upgrade it later)
should I keep the Samsung 860 evo and the barracuda 2tb?

I'm good with going off-topic and do you have any recommendations for a 2tb m.2 pcie drive.
and my original was gonna be the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card

Last edited:
On storage, I think I would start with a 1tb intel 660p nvme drive for $120.
2tb is about $270.
Whenever you fill that up, adding storage later will be cheaper.

The evga RTX2070 super is an excellent card.
I am not saying that it is overpriced. You mostly get what you pay for in graphics cards and EVGA is very good.
I do not know your monitor, but the higher the resolution, the stronger your graphics card needs to be.
You want balance between the cpu and gpu.
Your list is reasonable.
My suggested balance is to budget more, like 2: 1 for the graphics card vs. the cpu cost.
Truthfully, most processors over $200 are going to game very well.

ON RGB, your case comes with two front RGB fans.
With all that bling, you may be hard pressed to see anything inside.

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
On storage, I think I would start with a 1tb intel 660p nvme drive for $120.
2tb is about $270.
Whenever you fill that up, adding storage later will be cheaper.

The evga RTX2070 super is an excellent card.
I am not saying that it is overpriced. You mostly get what you pay for in graphics cards and EVGA is very good.
I do not know your monitor, but the higher the resolution, the stronger your graphics card needs to be.
You want balance between the cpu and gpu.
Your list is reasonable.
My suggested balance is to budget more, like 2: 1 for the graphics card vs. the cpu cost.
Truthfully, most processors over $200 are going to game very well.

ON RGB, your case comes with two front RGB fans.
With all that bling, you may be hard pressed to see anything inside.

rate my rig
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KPHsFG

Price is a little higher than I wanted

and does it matter if the MB say ATX and the graphics card is RTX

Last edited:
ATX is a size specification for the motherboard. (Also it is a PSU size among other things)
It will have 7 expansion slots.
M-ATX will have 4.

RTX designates ray tracing capability on nvidia cards. The older GTX versions do not have ray tracing.
But not that many games use ray tracing, now, but that will change

What will the seagate HDD be used for?
It is really only good for backup storage.

One big windows C drive is the easiest to manage.
I think I would use a single 2tb intel 660P nvme ssd which will cost you less than the 860 and 970 combo.

If you need wifi, buy an adapter with a antenna which will give stronger reception than a button.

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
ATX is a size specification for the motherboard. (Also it is a PSU size among other things)
It will have 7 expansion slots.
M-ATX will have 4.

RTX designates ray tracing capability on nvidia cards. The older GTX versions do not have ray tracing.
But not that many games use ray tracing, now, but that will change

What will the seagate HDD be used for?
It is really only good for backup storage.

One big windows C drive is the easiest to manage.
I think I would use a single 2tb intel 660P nvme ssd which will cost you less than the 860 and 970 combo.

If you need wifi, buy an adapter with a antenna which will give stronger reception than a button.

I guess the hhd would be used for backup
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nook.Fly/saved/wdkBcf
so the MB and gpu are fine?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On average, the 10600k is @ 5-10fps higher than the 3700X. Which is only useful if you can use it. With both processors kicking well into the 110fps+ range in most games, that's chump change. Balance that against the price of the z490 mobo and the added cooler necessary and for something decent you are into the $500 range. For the 3600, it's the $300 range and 5-10fps slower than the 3700X.

With 100+fps, you'll not see any real difference between the 3 cpus unless you live for the almighty benchmark.

ATX is a standardization of some pc components. This can include dimensions, but isn't limited to that. It also includes power delivery, regulatory outputs etc. For a motherboard to be called ATX, it has to meet certain size requirements and certain motherboard standoff layouts. E-ATX, mITX, mATX and others are all sub-sizes of ATX standards

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
On average, the 10600k is @ 5-10fps higher than the 3700X. Which is only useful if you can use it. With both processors kicking well into the 110fps+ range in most games, that's chump change. Balance that against the price of the z490 mobo and the added cooler necessary and for something decent you are into the $500 range. For the 3600, it's the $300 range and 5-10fps slower than the 3700X.

With 100+fps, you'll not see any real difference between the 3 cpus unless you live for the almighty benchmark.

ATX is a standardization of some pc components. This can include dimensions, but isn't limited to that. It also includes power delivery, regulatory outputs etc. For a motherboard to be called ATX, it has to meet certain size requirements and certain motherboard standoff layouts. E-ATX, mITX, mATX and others are all sub-sizes of ATX standards

Oh ok. So my current setup works fine?

Oh ok. So my current setup works fine?
Looks ok to me.
Backup needs to be EXTERNAL to be secure.
Consider the damage a virus, fire, ransomware or inadvertent deletion could do if all your data was in one place on the pc.
A HDD is very good for backup. It is cheap and performance matters little.
Put the HDD in an external usb connected adapter so you can remove it after a backup.
It might be better to simply buy an already assembled usb backup device in the first place.

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Looks ok to me.
Backup needs to be EXTERNAL to be secure.
Consider the damage a virus, fire, ransomware or inadvertent deletion could do if all your data was in one place on the pc.
A HDD is very good for backup. It is cheap and performance matters little.
Put the HDD in an external usb connected adapter so you can remove it after a backup.
It might be better to simply buy an already assembled usb backup device in the first place.

One last question for custom cable extensions and cable mods where should I buy?

One last question for custom cable extensions and cable mods where should I buy?

Some manufacturers like Corsair and NZXT has their own cable mod-kits (for certain models), but I have persoanlly been very happy with CableMod products.

I've both had an individually sleeved cable extension kit, and a complete custom made cable kit, made to order, and to me, the products were very well made, and I was very satisfied.

So I'd personally recommend considering some of their available cables

CableMod

Compatibility Chart

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Some manufacturers like Corsair and NZXT has their own cable mod-kits (for certain models), but I have persoanlly been very happy with CableMod products.

I've both had an individually sleeved cable extension kit, and a complete custom made cable kit, made to order, and to me, the products were very well made, and I was very satisfied.

So I'd personally recommend considering some of their available cables

CableMod

Compatibility Chart

which type of there cables do u like (modesh or modflex) which one is more high quality in your opinion
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qP42Mc

And for the cables that are going to be exposed what cables will I need (24 pin 8 pin 6 pin) that kind of stuff here's the parts I'm using

Last edited:
which type of there cables do u like (modesh or modflex) which one is more high quality in your opinion

Honestly, I don't remember having a choice between materials when I oredered about 3 years ago, but I don't remember for sure.

But the cables I have, are the ones which are called ModMesh (I think), when reading the description.

If I were to order new ones, I'd like to try the ModFlex version, because the ModMesh are a bit rigid and needs a bit of persuation when it comes to cablemanagement when they are installed for the first time.

But the ModFlex description sounds like they won't have the same rigidity as the ones I own now, and that sounds more appealing.

Both option looks excellent though, at least in my opinion.

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Honestly, I don't remember having a choice between materials when I oredered about 3 years ago, but I don't remember for sure.

But the cables I have, are the ones which are called ModMesh (I think).

If I were to order new ones, I'd like to try the ModFlex version, because the ModMesh are a bit rigid and needs a bit of persuation when it comes to cablemanagement when they are installed for the first time.

But the ModFlex description sounds like they won't have the same rigidity as the ones I own now, and that sounds more appealing.

Both option looks excellent though, at least in my opinion.

And for the cables that are going to be exposed what cables will I need (24 pin 8 pin 6 pin) that kind of stuff here's the parts I'm using

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qP42Mc

Nook.Fly

Prominent
May 27, 2020
It seems like you'd need
4+4-pin for EPS12v (CPU power) 2 x 4+4-pin if you want to utilize both CPU power connectors.
6-pin PCI-e
8-pin PCI-e
24-pin (20+4) for the motherboard.

Some people like to have sleeved SATA cables and SATA-power cables as well.

Ok thanks sooooooo much your a great help all you in this question thing helped a lot! Thanks! Stay safe!